3pt. arms will not raise all the way up

Trent Redmon

New User
Hello, I need your help again. I have made my tractor look better by taking it apart, sandblasting all of the small parts and wire brushing all of the larger parts. I also removed the hydraulic pump in the bottom of the tractor. I cleaned this the best that I could, check all of the springs, and replaced all of the gaskets. This unit now looks pretty good in my opinion. I also checked the hydraulic lift cylinder and piston. This also looks to be in good shape. Now that the tractor is back together I have add new hydraulic fluid and filled it to the correct level. My issue is that the arms will only raise about half the way up. I can apply weight to the lift arms and they seem pretty strong when lifting. Also if I turn off the tractor the arms will remain in the raised positon. I do not notice them lowering once the tractor has been turned off. I would like to know if anyone has any ideas why the arms are not raising to their full height. Is it possible that there is air in the system? Since the tractor has been put back together I have only ran the tractor about 5 minutes.

Thanks in Advance for any suggests or comments
Trent

It would be very helpful if you would tell us what model tractor you have. The hydraulics are different based upon the model.....9N, 8N, NAA, etc.
50 Tips

Hello Bruce, You are so correct. The last time that I posted about my tractor not running I over explained every little detail. I tried to do that again but left off the most important details. I have a 51 Ford 8N tractor.

Trent......better too much info than haffta ask fer more info.

Ennytime you have "hydraulic issues", remove the 6"-roundy-round dipstick plate behind yer right heel and look fer squirts. (2-places)

As a general rule, the hydraulics are "self-priming" so worrying about air in the lift system is NOT generally a problem.

From yer description, check yer friction disc behind yer hy-trol lever. Too loose and it won't lift all the way. Simple, eh? .......Dell

Hello Dell, As it's getting late here on the east coast I will try these tips tomorrow evening. I do remember adjusting this nut during the paint removal process while cleaning the tractor. I suspect that this might be the problem. About looking for squirts behind the plate for the dipstick. I guess squirts are not a good thing. I hope that this is not the issue as I really don't want to tear into this again. But I will if needed.

One other item that I would like to mention. I have only posted about two topics on this site asking for help with my tractor. I am very grateful for all of the help and advice that has been offered to me, especially as I am a newbie to this site.

Regards,
Trent

Trent........notta problem, justta reminder, there is a terrific "archive" search at the top of the Board. Can gitt a bitt messy searching. Many problems have been asked repeatedly, zattza hookay. Iff'n a direct answer makes you feel warm and fuzzy, heres to "fuzzy navel".......Dell

i hope you meant UTF fluid or correct gear oil and not hyd oil like you said.

as for not lifting all the way, did you inspect and service the cam and cam follower pin?

soundguy

Have you tried adjusting the quadrant. Four bolts - the quadrant with the lever moves forward and backward. Try moving it backward to get more lift. This adjustment described much better in FO4 manual (with pictures). If that doesn't work, the internal linkages are worn and out of adjustment. May need a new cam follower pin.

Hello All, After reading all of the posts about my lift arms I have had many good ideas. I was able to try to adjust the nut on the friction pad. This did not help. I did not have time to remove the plate and check for squirts.

Soundguy... I purchased the Universal Transmission fluid from Tractor Supply store.

I am off this weekend so I have more time to look at these other possibilities. I have also been reading the many other post about other members with similar problems. It looks like this could be caused by a number of issues. I am going to try to adjust the lift quadrant next before I open the top of the tractor and check the cam follower pin.

Regards,
Trent

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back