Hydraulic will not work at all

kcurry681

New User
Hello. So I purchased a Ford 3000 pretty cheap and at the time of buying it the 3 point arms raised and lowered very slowly. So I decided to change the fluids. To my discovery it was mixed with water (aka Starbucks coffee). I flushed the system with 15 gallons of AG 20 hydraulic fluid. Arms would not raise. I drained the last of the AG20 and replaced with Tractor supply VP something. It said it meet the Ford 134d spec. I thought I was good because the arms raised but while driving it around I lowered the arms to cycle the system and they will not raise. Im stumped. Im reading the book now but I cant see the problem right now. Any advice would be nice thank you

If it's like my old Jubilee, when the pump loses prime, I needed to take an air hose to the hydraulic dipstick hole and put some pressure in there to get the pump to reprime.

You need to bleed the air out of the system. Run the engine at idle speed and loosen the pipe plug on the end of the hydraulic pump. You will hear the air popping as it bleeds out. The plug will need to be very loose. The arms should rise after bleeding. I always use diesel fuel to clean the dirt and water out of the system. Run the tractor while letting it warm and circulate. Drain it out and refill with clean hydraulic oil compatible with the 134 spec.

Tried the air trick. Pump just would not prime. I tried loosening
the plug on the pump and nothing. I think my pump is shot. I
would like to know how hard is it to get to the filter?

It could be the suction line is leaking, most likely at one or both ends where there is only an o-ring providing the seal. When either of those o-rings gets old, it dries out and no longer seals properly.

Hydraulic pick up tube marked in yellow the filter on the end up the pipe can not be seen its there tho. I had the lift cover off and the PTO shaft out. The lift cover and PTO needed sealed anyways.

The other filter/screen on the lower tube is the (return) This is not much help but you ask, BTW its not a hard job if you have away to lift and install the lift cover. I have done it manually it has got to much for me to handle.

mvphoto111861.jpg

could be... the tractor has pin holes and the fluid was over filled to compensate for this. Now that you put it back to the correct level, its sucking air. And also the pump is weak from a long life. A 3000 does not have wet brakes or a wet clutch, so it will tolerate more types of fluids than other fords.

Put a hose barb in the bleed port of the pump and run a line, preferably clear like neoprene, and run it back to the fill port. Took mine a good 20 minutes or more to clear. It looked good while it was running but if I shut it off there were large bubble in the line.

On the 960s we have a squirt of oil from an oil can into the bleed hole seems to reprime them pretty quickly.

Paul

Thanks for all the advice and help.
I believe the suction line was clogged with caramel mocha. I hope the video uploads.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back