Ford 3000 Hydraulic pressure problem

Ddirose

New User
I have a Ford 3000 that I have a hydraulic pressure problem with. I am completely stumped at this point. I pressure checked at the pump, before it was rebuilt. I could get 500 psi. Rebuilt the pump, thoroughly. Pressure checked it again after rebuild at the same spot, and now I have less pressure than I had before. Circulated the hydraulic fluid through a valve with a hose, no signs of air. The back lift arms go all the way up slowly. Flow control valve is turned in, all the way. When I turn the valve off at the pump pressure gauge, I still get no pressure. When I turn the valve on to let the fluid run through the half inch hose into the hydraulic fill area, there is a constant flow, but not much pressure. What I don’t understand, is the flow from the suction filter runs directly to the pump. When I isolate at the pump with the valve engaged why don’t I get any pressure reading? Yes, the gauge is brand new I am testing with, it’s a good liquid filled gauge. I took the lift cover off, and checked the suction and discharge filters to see if there was sludge in the bottom of the reservoir. Everything appears to be clear. Should I take the pump back off? Blow through the suction line, now that the reservoir is empty? I’m missing something. I’ve worked on these Ford tractors for 30 years, I guess that hasn’t been long enough, because this one is schooling me. I thought maybe the relief valve was dumping, but I am not sure. I appreciate the help. If it wasn’t in the barn I would have considered setting it on fire tonight. 😂

Last edited:
Where are you connecting the pressure gauge? What are you doing when you are taking the pressure reading? If there is no resistance to the flow, then there will be no pressure. Pressure is a result of flow against a resistance.

Where are you connecting the pressure gauge? What are you doing when you are taking the pressure reading? If there is no resistance to the flow, then there will be no pressure. Pressure is a result of flow against a resistance.
I have the pressure gauge attached at the body of the pump. According to the IT shop manual, F031, page 127, figure 371, letter P it states the body of the pressure pump for testing. Is there a different place I should be testing it?

I have the pressure gauge attached at the body of the pump. According to the IT shop manual, F031, page 127, figure 371, letter P it states the body of the pressure pump for testing. Is there a different place I should be testing it?
Did you bleed the pump per the instructions in that IT manual?

If the 3 point lift is not working at all, then testing the pressure can be tricky, as it needs a resistance to the flow to actually build pressure. Simply attaching a pressure gauge to the pump while the fluid is just flowing back to the sump, whether because the control valve is not calling for pressure, or for some internal leak in the system, there will be no pressure. Even when the lift is working, you need to chain down the arms and then try to raise them to see the pressure build to whatever pressure the relief valve might open at, or whatever the maximum pressure that the pump can deliver, whichever comes first.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back