this old truck

I posted the first picture of this truck when I first starting posting pictures here on t talk,probably about three years ago,The truck still sits at the side of the road at a road stand,I took the remaining pictures of it the other day,it is starting to deteriorate,I did not open the hood,it has been that way for a year or so.I drive by it quite often ,sad to see it just sit there as a decoration.
a108272.jpg

a108273.jpg

a108275.jpg

a108277.jpg

Is that a "50 model?? My brother (no longer with us) had a red "50 3/4 ton when I got out of the service in 1966. Boy, that was a tough old truck. Dale

'48 thru '50 had the same body style, with the exception of some slight change in the finish on the grille (which I can't remember what it was). I have a '50 F-6 that's been sitting in my yard for about 10 years with no noticeable progress on the restoration.

48 to 50 were the same. 51 had a different grill like you said. They didn't restyle trucks every year back then. I have a 49 F3, Ford rated it as a heavy 3/4, but its more accurately a 1 ton single rear wheel.

My grand dad had a 49 like that, even the red paint. He had nickmames for almost everything and the truck was the "Red Warrior". I remember my grandmother pulling a hay loader behind it and loading hay. She never could drive very well and stalled it out on a hill. She got it started and about killed several boys working on the truck when she popped the clutch. He bought a green 53 F5 which was named the Green Hornet.

In 1969, I bought a new Dodge 3/4 P U, It was a lemon, after one year of hassle with Chrysler, I sold it and bought a 1951 F4 Ford, Changed the motor once, ground the valves twice. I got the Idea to Get a new 1973 IHC one ton PU, It was a worse lemon than the Dodge, Sold it and went and got the Old 51 F4 back, After 40 more years the F4, is now retired. When I walk in the Barn, I have memories of BIG RED and the trips to New York, Kansas, Michigan and Alabama. The 51 is the same wheelbase as the one in the photos. That old flathead would cruise alll day with a 'D' JD on it's back and another 'D' on a 16 foot trailer behind at 50 to 55 MPH. I estimate that I put at least 100K miles on Big Red, thanks for the memories.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back