School me on Truck Tires 10.00 20

dhermesc

I have a 1972 Ford F750 with an 18 foot bed. I bought it because it going too cheap to let pass (running truck with good brakes $750). The tires on it are OK at best but I have no spares. I am not buying new 10.00 by 20 tires - two or three will cost more than the truck. This truck has the Dayton rims on it, I have found a few tires scattered across a couple states that should fit (primarily looking for a spare or two). But I've been reading about a metric equivilent rim that would let you use 22.5 tires - I see lots of them advertised from school busses. Am I misunderstanding the conversations or how does a 22.5 rim replace a 20" rim?

You have it right,but it's just not metric.The 11-22.5 is the tubeless version of the 10.00X20. The tubeless version of a 10.00X22 is 11-24.5.Much safer,and easier to find now.We call tube type truck tires oxcart wheels.

I have a 1972 Ford F750 with an 18 foot bed. I bought it because it going too cheap to let pass (running truck with good brakes $750). The tires on it are OK at best but I have no spares. I am not buying new 10.00 by 20 tires - two or three will cost more than the truck. This truck has the Dayton rims on it, I have found a few tires scattered across a couple states that should fit (primarily looking for a spare or two). But I've been reading about a metric equivilent rim that would let you use 22.5 tires - I
I have a 1972 Ford F750 with an 18 foot bed. I bought it because it going too cheap to let pass (running truck with good brakes $750). The tires on it are OK at best but I have no spares. I am not buying new 10.00 by 20 tires - two or three will cost more than the truck. This truck has the Dayton rims on it, I have found a few tires scattered across a couple states that should fit (primarily looking for a spare or two). But I've been reading about a metric equivilent rim that would let you use 22.5 tires - I see lots of them advertised from school busses. Am I misunderstanding the conversations or how does a 22.5 rim replace a 20" rim?
Yes the 22.5 are a direct replacement for the 10x20. I put them on my Diamond-T
see lots of them advertised from school busses. Am I misunderstanding the conversations or how does a 22.5 rim replace a 20" rim?\

Go to your local truck tire place. They will almost give you Dayton wheels for 22.5 tires. Buy some used 22.5 tires then.

That was what I need to know. Does that mean the 22.5 are radials?

The real stupid question - would I need the Dayton 22.5" rims to go with the tires - or do they mount on the old 20" Dayton rims? I freely admit I know nothing about this - I haven't been around 2 ton trucks since the 1980s.

Last edited:

The real stupid question - would I need the Dayton 22.5" rims to go with the tires - or do they mount on the old 20" Dayton rims? I freely admit I know nothing about this - I haven't been around 2 ton trucks since the 1980s.
You need the rim and the tire. The rim is 22.5 not 20 so you need both.

Most 22.5 tires I have seen are radial. If the size reads like this 11R-22.5 that is a radial

So the 22.5 rim has more a drop in the center to mount on the same wheel center as the 20" rim.

Just an added safety reminder, hopefully you know this. Do NOT take the lugs nut off just loosen them enough for the wedges to come loose. I seen one go through a shop wall because the guy has the nuts off when he broke the wedges loose.

Start checking your local scrap yards. Especially if you saw some school buses in there. If your timing is good, you can have six new wheels with the air already in them for a couple hundred.

The picture should show you the difference in the 20 inch high profile tube type tires and rim and the low profile 22 inch tires.

You can not put a 22 inch tire on a 20 inch rim but the 22 inch rim will fit the 20 inch spider.
Plus the 20 inch rim is made for tube tires so it has a lock ring whereas the 22 inch rim is a one piece tubeless rim.

And that is the main reason you should go with 22 inch tires and rims. Finding someone to work on them 20 inch lock ring rims can be a challenge and getting to be more of a challenge everyday.

Attachments

• A49B2F82-3576-47AF-AAA4-FE518C807BDF.jpeg
    A49B2F82-3576-47AF-AAA4-FE518C807BDF.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 25

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back