Lost wrench inside of tractor as i was getting my shifter unstuck...ideas of getting out

gwayne1962

New User
My Farmall 560 was locked in gear. I need to improve the movement on my clutch and TA. Anytime I am under pressure the gears lock up and at times have to take the shifter off and use a wrench to align the gears back.

In doing so the other day, I was using another wrench as a filler and when the gear moved, the wrench fell into the hole and is now somewhere in the bottom of that tank. I have tried to magnet the wrench out...but have no luck...cannot see anything thru the little hole where shifter was removed.

Is there any other plate i can take off to get to the bottom of the compartment? I know I will need to drain the fluid..and it was time to do that anyway...but I see no help in using something to go fishing in the tank......

My Farmall 560 was locked in gear. I need to improve the movement on my clutch and TA. Anytime I am under pressure the gears lock up and at times have to take the shifter off and use a wrench to align the gears back.

In doing so the other day, I was using another wrench as a filler and when the gear moved, the wrench fell into the hole and is now somewhere in the bottom of that tank. I have tried to magnet the wrench out...but have no luck...cannot see anything thru the little hole where shifter was removed.

Is there any other plate i can take off to get to the bottom of the compartment? I know I will need to drain the fluid..and it was time to do that anyway...but I see no help in using something to go fishing in the tank......
The opposite side has a similar opening from the shifter. that is about the only option other than the platform. Your TA may be so out af adjustment that it is causing the gear binding. TA front clutch should disengage just after the engine clutch as the pedal goes down. an inch of freeplay on the pedal to platform, then as the foot pressure builds to release the engine clutch the TA clutch is just approaching the fingers. further pedal pressure releases the engine clutch, then about 1/2 inch or so the TA clutch releases. Worn linkages and pivot pins can make this a not quite book following to accomplish. Jim

The opposite side has a similar opening from the shifter. that is about the only option other than the platform. Your TA may be so out af adjustment that it is causing the gear binding. TA front clutch should disengage just after the engine clutch as the pedal goes down. an inch of freeplay on the pedal to platform, then as the foot pressure builds to release the engine clutch the TA clutch is just approaching the fingers. further pedal pressure releases the engine clutch, then about 1/2 inch or so the TA clutch releases. Worn linkages and pivot pins can make this a not quite book following to accomplish. Jim
So you are saying there is another opening on the platform itself that might give me another location to fish from? I will go up and look at it again but do not recall another opening other than when i pull the shifter off. the platform you speak of is what the tractor seat sits on....looks like about 8 bolts or so after you remove the seat? Assume there would be a new gasket applied once we took that off....

So you are saying there is another opening on the platform itself that might give me another location to fish from? I will go up and look at it again but do not recall another opening other than when i pull the shifter off. the platform you speak of is what the tractor seat sits on....looks like about 8 bolts or so after you remove the seat? Assume there would be a new gasket applied once we took that off....
One for 15 bucks

IIRC there is another hole that looks like a shifter size hole. After draining, put a bright LED light in the real shifter hole and look in the other hole to assess the wrench location. An endoscope could also help. That cover is heavy after cleaning both surfaces a ""very thin"" film of RTV can be used as a gasket. Jim

One for 15 bucks

IIRC there is another hole that looks like a shifter size hole. After draining, put a bright LED light in the real shifter hole and look in the other hole to assess the wrench location. An endoscope could also help. That cover is heavy after cleaning both surfaces a ""very thin"" film of RTV can be used as a gasket. Jim
and the other hole is on the platform somewhere? or do i need to take the seat bracket off?

and the other hole is on the platform somewhere? or do i need to take the seat bracket off?
that is exactly the same hole for a shifter, just on the oppositte side is a plate. when u flip very thing around inside to use a shifter in that hole. like in a forklift. not sure how u can miss it.

Our 660 did the same thing from day one......no TA. We always took the shifter plate off and used a pry bar. We learned to make a deliberate move to neutral then into desired gear.

There should be a 3 corner plate on the right side of the cable tunnel the battery cables run through. Or at least I think the x60 series had the sheet metal shield the battery cable run through. CNHI Farmall 560 parts catalog number 12 in the link. However, what these guys are not remembering is the differential and ring gear set right below that so access through that is limited. Otherwise access is indeed limited. If the Tractor Vet was still posting here he could probably tell you if there is room down in the bottom for that wrench to lay without it getting into anything. What size wrench is it? Beyond this you take the gamble, either it lays there and bothers nothing or option B CRUNCH!! The only other option is to pull the lid. I suppose there may be access to this area if you pull out the PTO.
In addition to what JAN has posted about your TA adjustments, you apparently do not use it. If you do or even if you don’t when you get in these situations pull the TA back an it should release the “lock up” if the TA direct clutch is set right. If it will not and you use the TA the TA direct clutch is slightly engaging and being slipped. Operating in this manner should be avoided.

Last edited:
just pull the pto out at the rear and reach in and pluck that wrench out. highly unlikely a magnet will hold it from that hole if indeed you grabbed it. . plus yes the ring gear is staring u in the face with the right cover off. and yes use a prybar for this job and you wont risk dropping tools in the diff housing. no u dont need to pull the lid. them bull gears are close to the bottom housing , and no way would i be risking smashed gears or the housing if it gets grabbed.

just pull the pto out at the rear and reach in and pluck that wrench out. highly unlikely a magnet will hold it from that hole if indeed you grabbed it. . plus yes the ring gear is staring u in the face with the right cover off. and yes use a prybar for this job and you wont risk dropping tools in the diff housing. no u dont need to pull the lid. them bull gears are close to the bottom housing , and no way would i be risking smashed gears or the housing if it gets grabbed.
You could have said I forgot that, hee hee!

the other hole in the top of the deck is where you add hydraulic oil. Right beside the shifter column hole. Easy to get off.
Besides the 2 holes for the axles, there is one more hole in the transmission casting where the PTO shaft comes out.
I'm not sure where you will have success.
good luck.

I've got a magnet attached to a long piece of speedometer cable and have put a cow magnet into pa piece of heater hose. Fished out different things over the years.

I've got a magnet attached to a long piece of speedometer cable and have put a cow magnet into pa piece of heater hose. Fished out different things over the years.
that could possibly work as them cow magnets are strong. i actually have one here that i didnt have to make the cow eat.

I agree with pulling pto out. It is heavy but if you check book it says to put some longer bolts in without heads to slide it out with. I had to pull mine a couple years ago on 560 to go in and clean case out.

BY, remember the shift rails are fairly long in those Farmalls. They extend back over the differential case. I’m sure now that your memory is jogged you don’t need a visual, but see my link in reply 8.
u talking to me ? what i posted is correct.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back