John Deere 2940 power steering pump knocking

New owner of this 2940.
Power steering hose came off. Lost some fluid.
Reconnected hose and added fluid in the rear There is a cap on what I believe is the power steering pump. Should fluid be added there too?

No cap on 2940 power steering valve housing to add oil. JD tractors of that era utilize trans case as a hyd reservoir. Hyd oil reservoir filler hole is located behind seat & oil level dipstick is on RH side of trans case with red knob behind right rear axle. Hyd oil used should be Hy-Gard or it's equivalent that meets spec's of J20C

Attachments

• IMG_0876.jpeg
    IMG_0876.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
Hello Bryan, welcome to YT! I usually try to be nice to newbies here but this is going to be a bit pointed. Please take some time to acquire an operators manual for your tractor. Please read it and heed the maintenance it suggests is required BEFORE YOU TURN YOUR NEW TRACTOR INTO A PILE OF SCRAP IRON.
Find the serial number for you tractor back by the hitch or more specifically the PTO. Go to the website below and follow the steps.
When you find your applicable machine type and model click the arrow pointing sideways so it points down and it shows the operators manuals and other tech manuals. Click the arrow to point down by Op manuals there you can put it in your cart. Also there is a square at the right with the arrow up to the right corner when you click that you can view it. The down arrow with the line under it will down load it to your PC. If you prefer not to view the manual on your PC you could print it off and put it in a 3 ring binder.
https://techpubs.deere.com/en-US/Search/Equipment#
Have any other questions please ask.
What is knocking? That may not be good.

That cap is for adding oil to engine. Sounds as if you're a good candidate for a FREE 2940 operators manual that can be downloaded @ the following link. https://techpubs.deere.com/en-US/Search/Equipment
That cap is for adding oil to engine. Sounds as if you're a good candidate for a FREE 2940 operators manual that can be downloaded @ the following link. https://techpubs.deere.com/en-US/Search/Equipment
Hey thanks. Still learning about this tractor just bought it about 3 weeks ago. I’ll add more fluid and see if it smooths out.

WHERE are you hearing the knock?

''I’ll add more fluid and see if it smooths out.''

Are you planning to add oil to the engine or transmission/hydraulic system?

WHERE are you hearing the knock?

''I’ll add more fluid and see if it smooths out.''

Are you planning to add oil to the engine or transmission/hydraulic system?
Oil level is fine.
Just lost fluid when a power steering hose came off. Was making noise unless I turning the steering wheel. Added fluid and it seems to be better.
Thanks

Oil level is fine.
Just lost fluid when a power steering hose came off. Was making noise unless I turning the steering wheel. Added fluid and it seems to be better.
Thanks
Noise being made when hyd functions are at idle IE not being used is normally caused by worn hyd pump drive coupler located between engine crankshaft & front hyd pump

Noise being made when hyd functions are at idle IE not being used is normally caused by worn hyd pump drive coupler located between engine crankshaft & front hyd pump
Funny looking doo-dad in front of the bottom engine pulley that is below the engine fan. Probably shouldn’t make up funny descriptions. Would be better to force you or strongly suggest you find the pump in the operators manual.

I am going to guess the coupler in under the front end where the drive to the pump is has the bushings out. Letting it knock on the pins. It has a bolt on the splined section you have to loosen. Then with the bolts out of the drive bushings the coupler will slide forward change bushings and reset the drive coupler, tighten back up all bolts loosened and probably your knock will be gone. Left to knock will ruin the shaft coupler and then it gets real expensive real fast since you would need a new pump drive coupler and the cheap bushings that would have prevented the whole problem in the first place. Takes a couple hours to do if nothing is removed but the bushing job. I did ours when I replaced the water pump lots of room to work then. Could do it from the top also.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back