Ford 600 Power steering issue

turkeystraw

New User
I recently inherited a Ford 600 and I am trying to get it in good operating condition and learn my way around it. The steering takes a lot of effort and I figure the first step is to check power steering fluid. From what I have gathered trying to read about this online, the fluid is filled from a port on top of the pump which is at the base of the steering column. Do I need to pull the steering wheel and remove the panel with the gauges and in front of the shifter to access the steering pump?

I recently inherited a Ford 600 and I am trying to get it in good operating condition and learn my way around it. The steering takes a lot of effort and I figure the first step is to check power steering fluid. From what I have gathered trying to read about this online, the fluid is filled from a port on top of the pump which is at the base of the steering column. Do I need to pull the steering wheel and remove the panel with the gauges and in front of the shifter to access the steering pump?

Power steering was an option on the hundred series. Some tractors had power steering added at a later date or had power steering pumps replaced. Who knows what you have, but everyone I have seen uses a belt operated pump. This means that the pump must be mounted on one side of the drive pully on the front of the engine (and not back by the steering column.

A copy of the manual gives much more information and pictures.

Do a search for NTC library then look under the Service/Troubleshooting section.

The fluid that you fill at the base of the steering column is to lubricate the gears inside the steering column. You should use 80 or 90 weight gear oil, or a multi-viscosity gear oil, or NLGI #0 grease (sometimes called corn head grease) in that gearbox. If yours has power steering, which was an option, the power steering fluid would be added at the reservoir attached to the pump which, as TomIn has already stated, would be at the front of the engine, driven by a belt and pulley.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back