Ford 3000 power steering

Jhill2583

I have a ford 3000 with power steering. power steering isn't working. Pump is pumping fluid up to the steering gear box. There is fluid coming out of one of the holes for the tubing down to the hydraulic cylinders. How do I tell if the gear box is working properly? (If I turn the steering wheel should the amount of fluid increase coming out of the hole down to the cylinder?)

2nd ? The pump is an aftermarket pump. The fill hole on the pump is on the left side. I'm wondering if the pump is on wrong. It seems like the fill hole should be on the stop, not the side.

3rd ? Should the pump be full of power steering fluid? With the fill hole on the side, it's less that half full.

Thank you in advance for your advise.

Did this setup ever work, or is it a new acquisition?
Sounds like you have the wrong reservoir on it.. a
3000 return line is at the six oclock position while
larger tractors come in at an angle, like eight
oclock. Rotating the rez to line up with a 3000
return line would put the filler neck down like you
are describing. If the oil is foamy , the oil level may
be too low with the neck down like that.

Hard to decipher your post.
Give us a bit of history on this tractor.
Is it new to you? Had it a long time?
Power steering worked but stopped working
right?
Didn't work when you bought it?
You changed the pump?
If so, why?
What do you mean by aftermarket pump?
Does yours look like the one in the photo?
If so it is installed correctly.
It may be time to go through the hydraulic
control valve in the steering column.
That system is Very reliable - and simple -
but they can get crud or rust in them and
not work properly.
You will want to replace the lower seal
#14, the upper seal #35 and two Orings #33.
Pay very close attention when you remove
the hydraulic block #23 from the column so
that all the little balls, plungers and
springs dont fall out the bottom and bounce
across the floor.
If you need help, encouragement or a kick
in the rear on this send me an email with
your phone #.
It is too much to type but I'm glad to talk
you through it.
Those are great old tractors and we can
keep them running.

cvphoto152420.jpg

cvphoto152421.jpg

I have a Ford 3000---just bought. What oil is used for the power steering???? Thank you.....

yes the fill hole is tilted over, but the little vent on the top should be at 12 oclock position as shown in the picture.

Most common problem is that it pumps fluid out the top of the steering column due to a bad upper seal in the steering column..

Or pump is worn out and very little or no pressure..

Or the pump has been run dry due to a leak, and it soon destroys itself and wont pump anymore. You can NOT run the pump with no fluid in it or it will destroy it. Never run it dry! If you do, then figure on buying a new pump when you want to fix your power steering again.

Pump has worn out front seal and it pumps power steering fluid into the crank case, so the pump level drops, and the engine oil level slowly increases. In which case use engine oil in the pump same as engine.

As to fluid, any power steering fluid, or better, any atf, or tractor utf will work fine. In an emergency, even motor oil can be used.

hope this helps?

I've owned the tractor for about 3 years. The power steering didn't work when I bought the tractor. I had another tractor (loaner) available until this spring, so I probably haven't put 25 hours on the tractor in 3 years. I haven't changed anything on the power steering. The attached pic is the way I bought the tractor. Fill plug points straight out to the left. There is nothing at the top of the pump.

When I disconnected a line from the pump at the steering gearbox, I got a slow trickle of fluid. Picture of power steering pump is attached. It is an aftermarket pump from Plessy Dynamics.

Thanks for the help.

I've owned the tractor for about 3 years. The power steering didn't work when I bought the tractor. I had another tractor (loaner) available until this spring, so I probably haven't put 25 hours on the tractor in 3 years. I haven't changed anything on the power steering. The attached pic is the way I bought the tractor. Fill plug points straight out to the left. There is nothing at the top of the pump.

When I disconnected a line from the pump at the steering gearbox, I got a slow trickle of fluid. Picture of power steering pump is attached. It is an aftermarket pump from Plessy Dynamics.

Thanks for the help.
mvphoto104732.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back