Bill in IL

I have this little guy as an end loader tractor around the place. Yesterday I noticed it was running hot later I figured out the oil was overfull. Yes
in the past it had a slow mysterious coolant leak. Well I guess now I figured out where the coolant was going. Anyone have experience with
these Duetz liquid cooled engines. I am pretty sure the coolant has never been changed in the 15 or so years of its life. Is this likely to be a
head gasket or worse? These engines I know are an animal of their own am I best sending it up to the dealer?

Well I hope you problem is just a head gasket or some simple repair. Changing the coolant or at least adding the additives back into the coolant is very important. They go bad with time not just hours. So I hope that your engine is not prone to cavitation issues. If it is you may have more major troubles.

I have been learning about the importance of coolant treatment via reads on this site. My gut feeling is this has been caused by lack of coolant treatment.

What did the oil look like?

Was it still black, just overfull?

Or was it thick yellowish, emulsified and foamy?

If coolant is getting in the oil bad enough to raise the level, it will change the color and consistency of the oil since it was running and circulating the coolant along with the oil. The coolant could have gotten in from a head gasket, a cavitation burned liner, or coolant pump housing.

If the level has raised, but the color hasn't changed, it could be hydraulic oil getting in the crankcase, or diesel fuel from a bad injector, injector pump leaking internally, a bad lift pump, or any internal fuel plumbing. (Speaking generally here, not familiar with that exact model.)

So I have question... What other engines would bolt up to the transmission? What about a Perkins A4 236? Or maybe a Perkins 6 354?

I have not been back to look at it closer. Tractor had a history of loosing coolant just never knew where. Last summer it was hardly used. Yesterday I had it out loading stuff and it got hot on a 35 degree day. I also notice it had smoke coming out the engine breether tube which for this tractor was odd. At that time I pulled the dipstick and noticed the oil was still black but overfull. I am not sure if I will get a chance to drop the oil out of it this week to get a closer look but at this point expecting the worst and was hoping for some first hand experience with Duetz water cooled engines.

I have no idea. Even if it ends up needing a major overhaul needed I think I would be better off fixing what I have than going through the troubles of a "will fit" replacement.

Bill I just inherited an AGCO GT65 and for the life of me I can't figure out the size of the hex wrench needed to drain the oil. Can you tell me what is needed to remove the drain plug?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back