Ford 3000 purchase (possibly)

Pomester,
I seems you like those transmissions.
There are others here who like them too.
No problem. It takes all kinds and you are free to like what you like.
I had one in a 3 cyl 4000 and was not fond of it.
In addition to lack of parts availability, they require more servicing and maintenance.
But what I really disliked was how I could never trust it not to creep a little after I put it in park.
And the terribly HARD shifts.
The last time I used it I was doing some back blading which meant a lot of back and forth driving.
It shifted SO hard, even at 900-1200 rpm, that I decided to get rid of it.
I did soon after and will never own another one.

This is a great thread. So much information has been shared, I could give a rip less if the OP buys or not. I had no idea of the horrors behind sos tractors, honestly only knew of the positives. Really good insight

Yes, this has been a really good learning experience for me without spending any money. Thank you very much, to everyone that has commented.

I’ve owned 4 sos tractors, one was good but did creep in park when cold, one broke 3 times before I swapped in a 8 spd, one I sold shorting after I got the engine rebuilt, the other I purchased for parts when the sos not working
My brother has two sos tractors not running and we have another we parted out years ago due to a failed sos
Of the 7 sos transmissions 5 stripped out the input shaft, there are a couple of fixes for this issue but it’s not simple or cheap

Now for driving one, there is a certain finesse one must learn on how to use the inching pedal and it’s not so easy to learn
Take the tractor you have now and push the clutch down, then put the transmission in gear and let the pedal up as fast as you can so that the tractor lurches forward or backwards depending on the gear you selected, while your pushing that snow suddenly slam the clutch pedal to the floor so that the tractor comes to a sudden stop. That’s how a sos will work until one learns how to use the inching pedal, they didn’t get the nickname jerk o matic for nothing

Now for that tractor, the price is double what I consider a fair price but I personally won’t pay half the asking price even with that trailer
Gas tractors don’t have a good following in my area as they do in northern areas, I absolutely hate working on a gas model with a full frame loader, the only loaders I’ll have on my tractors are quick attach. That trailer to short to properly haul that tractor on with its loader and blade, it would be very difficult to get the proper weight balance to keep the tail from wagging the dog thus causing a wreck
If clutch pedals are becoming a issue and they do as we get older I’d look for a way to fab on a hand clutch control or up the coins to a newer hydrostatic tractor

AND..... since I have owned around 5 of them... they are very difficult to sell, where a 8 speed sells quickly. So if you do get it, figure on a year or more to sell it. I look at them as a ticking time bomb.. and stripping out the input shaft with a loader is much more likely??? On the good side, they have a very very slow first gear, great for tilling and plowing snow in certain circumstances, and can quickly jerk up to faster speeds, hence the bad input shafts. I have a policy NOT to buy them!!!!! but I keep finding them at about half price and in great shape. Never buy them at full price of a 8 spd.

I’ve owned 4 sos tractors, one was good but did creep in park when cold, one broke 3 times before I swapped in a 8 spd, one I sold shorting after I got the engine rebuilt, the other I purchased for parts when the sos not working
My brother has two sos tractors not running and we have another we parted out years ago due to a failed sos
Of the 7 sos transmissions 5 stripped out the input shaft, there are a couple of fixes for this issue but it’s not simple or cheap
So you are my parts source should I need something for my ~'66 4000 SOS :)

I have to split the tractor anyway to fix a PTO issue which appears to be in the two speed selector, so I'll inspect the input shaft while I'm at it. I do have a machine shop so the input splines are one of the things I'm ok with rebuilding and it seems the most common issue.

ETA: The engine (3cyl diesel) seems to be in great shape, it starts right up in about 4 seconds in cold weather at slow crank speed from a low battery and purrs like a kitten. The SOS currently operates properly as well. No loader and doesn't need one so easy access and less front end wear.

So you are my parts source should I need something for my ~'66 4000 SOS :)

I have to split the tractor anyway to fix a PTO issue which appears to be in the two speed selector, so I'll inspect the input shaft while I'm at it. I do have a machine shop so the input splines are one of the things I'm ok with rebuilding and it seems the most common issue.

ETA: The engine (3cyl diesel) seems to be in great shape, it starts right up in about 4 seconds in cold weather at slow crank speed from a low battery and purrs like a kitten. The SOS currently operates properly as well. No loader and doesn't need one so easy access and less front end wear.

The 3 cylinder 4000 is one of the best power to weight tractors I’ve ever owned, the mid 68/later diesels have higher flowing head and higher lift cam adding 6 more pto hp, it will out pull our early 5000 on a hill
Unfortunately for you I sold the sos trans I had from my 4000, what my brother and I have now are the older 601/801 transmissions and a couple of 5000 sos
I forgot about the 6000 he keeps saying he’ll restore

I had a 4000 4 cyl SOS years ago. There is an "inching pedal" that serves the function of a clutch in a geared tranny so you still have to use your left foot. Shifting between gears and having 10 speeds are nice options allowing nothing more than moving the lever to change speeds.

Mine had the PTO cable broken under the tranny cover and the bands needed to be adjusted and were at the end of the adjustment.....just enough thread to get the job done. Neither was a problem fixing. When I found out that the only tranny mechanic in the area passed away and the fact that I really wanted an 8 speed geared tractor I gave it to my son who used it for many years.

Destroked 450......thx for tuning in with a great real world statement 👏. I completely understand and will be walking away from this tractor. 😁 moving foward.....any thoughts on a massey ferguson 2135? The seller stated it has power shift lever on steering wheel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240501_195040_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240501_195040_Chrome.jpg
    754.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20240501_195026_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240501_195026_Chrome.jpg
    834.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20240501_194833_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240501_194833_Chrome.jpg
    775 KB · Views: 14
I grew up on Fords so not well versed on Massey, but the 2135 is a industrial version of the 135 ag tractor
In my small farms area when I was young the Massey 135 and Ford 3000 were the two most popular tractors around
That one had forward/reverse shuttle but it still used a conventional clutch, the shuttle would be nice for snow removal and loader operation

That’s a question probably better answered in the Massey section
I don’t know about the 135 but on the older models like the 65 and 85 if the power steering pump failed it would cause damage to the cam gear, repairable but a fair bit of work and cost to replace the cam gear

I will say one good thing about those transmissions.
When they fail you can use the parts for other projects.

Attachments

• 43202464831.jpg
    43202464831.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 21
  • 43202464550.jpg
    43202464550.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
I grew up on Fords so not well versed on Massey, but the 2135 is a industrial version of the 135 ag tractor
In my small farms area when I was young the Massey 135 and Ford 3000 were the two most popular tractors around
That one had forward/reverse shuttle but it still used a conventional clutch, the shuttle would be nice for snow removal and loader operation
My 65 HP tractor with loader has a clutch as part of the F-R quick shifting, "shuttle" shifting process. You don't give the clutch a second thought......it just happens. It takes all of one second to change directions. Don't worry about it.

With an old tractor you are always on the verge of having one part or another fail.
This is true with all old machinery.
Usually, a guy who has some basic tools and an interest in wrenching can fix whatever goes wrong. If you can get the parts.
Clutches, starters, pistons, gaskets, seals, bearings and other wear parts are readily available for those old Fords.
But, go try to find a transmission input shaft - a common failure item - for a Select O Speed . You likely Wont find one. Not new, not used, not a rebuildable one.
So there you are.
How many of those SOS transmissions have we seen here over the years with the input shaft that has gone kaput? I say we have seen plenty.
The tractor above might give good service for years and years. It also might not.
If I were Gregster I would not pay even half the price the seller is asking.
I would pay that much if it was a 4, 6 or 8 speed crash box but no way would I pay that for an SOS.
The spline on the tranny input shaft was worn to the point that the tractor wouldn't move on the SOS I had so I can verify your statement.

Pomester,
I seems you like those transmissions.
There are others here who like them too.
No problem. It takes all kinds and you are free to like what you like.
I had one in a 3 cyl 4000 and was not fond of it.
In addition to lack of parts availability, they require more servicing and maintenance.
But what I really disliked was how I could never trust it not to creep a little after I put it in park.
And the terribly HARD shifts.
The last time I used it I was doing some back blading which meant a lot of back and forth driving.
It shifted SO hard, even at 900-1200 rpm, that I decided to get rid of it.
I did soon after and will never own another one.
The creep thing was especially annoying for me in the winter when the oil was thick and I was trying to connect to an implement working alone which is always the case.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back