Old D5 flywheel clutch difficult to adjust

dirtyoily

New User
I’m needing to adjust my 94J D5 flywheel clutch, have the 2 retaining tabs loosened but unable to force the band to move via the small rectangular access. Can I use a bar to turn the driveline to make this adjustment? Better yet, I would really appreciate any serious advice how to make the adjustment. The service manual refers to “tabs” that are to be pushed. I’m not sure what exactly are these tabs and I am fearful of using too much force, possibly on the wrong object, and injuring the clutch. That’s why I’m asking if I can carefully turn the driveline to move the clutch ring clockwise. My longtime mechanic is now in a nursing home and no longer of sound mind. Thanks so much for your help and advice!

Not an expert on the d5 but have adjusted the clutch on an old d8 2u a few times. Yes you can use a bar through the hole to make the adjustment. We used a bar that was about 5 foot long. Didn't take a great deal of force but it was a long
pry bar that we always had on the truck. Just know that if you can't get it to turn you may need clutch replacement. That's where I am with my d8.
I’m needing to adjust my 94J D5 flywheel clutch, have the 2 retaining tabs loosened but unable to force the band to move via the small rectangular access. Can I use a bar to turn the driveline to make this adjustment? Better yet, I would really appreciate any serious advice how to make the adjustment. The service manual refers to “tabs” that are to be pushed. I’m not sure what exactly are these tabs and I am fearful of using too much force, possibly on the wrong object, and injuring the clutch. That’s why I’m asking if I can carefully turn the driveline to move the clutch ring clockwise. My longtime mechanic is now in a nursing home and no longer of sound mind. Thanks so much for your help and advice!

Clutch has to be dis-engaged to turn the ring! Turning the drive line will turn the flywheel and clutch ring if the clutch is ENGAGED.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back