IH 414/434 PTO engagement issue

550Doug

See attached photos
See the adjustment screw (RED) on each pressure plate finger, the UK made ones have a slotted screw, the USA ones may have a bolt with jamb nut.
Turn each adjustment screw 1/4 turn Clockwise, reason after many years of use the adjustment screw head wares a groove in the finger hole and by turning the screw 1/4 turn it positions the head of the screw out of the groove.
Afterwards make sure when the clutch pedal is at the top there is a gap between pressure plate and throw out bearing.
If no gap, re-adjust clutch pedal.

Also NEVER FORCE the PTO lever or you will shear off the roll pin on item #4 in the second photo

mvphoto95225.jpg

mvphoto95226.jpg

My pto will not engage with the tractor running. I have removed the inspection plate to view the clutch.
The above info was posted by JimB2 and I am trying to turn the above mentioned screws 1/4 turn, but no luck as there is either too much pressure on them or they are seized. Is there a way to get these screws to turn easily?

Before you mess with those screws, set your clutch
pedal at zero free play for test purposes and see if
that changes anything.

I had this issue and used a torch to heat them up. Be careful if you use heat, you don't want to heat up the clutch disc. Also check if that roll pin is broken. They're pretty easy to replace I've broken two of them.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back