New Holland 479 Haybine

Hello,

I am looking at a NH479 Haybine tonight and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on what to check. I plan to look over the rollers, blades, guards and lift arms but what else should I check. This would be my first Haybine, I got an old sickle bar that I used for 1st cutting and would like to upgrade.

Thanks in Advance!
Jeff

First thing I do is look at machine head on. General appearance, does reel and front of machine look all beat up, is tongue twisted. If the answer to these is a definite yes I don"t bother looking at the rest of it. Then I look at wobble box then chains chains and sockets for excess wear. Rollers and wobble box are the most expensive to repair. My opinion anyway.

There are 2 variations 479 that I'm aware of. One has a very long pto shaft to the gear box, it's about 8 feet long and can be a real problem because it isn't well supported. The other style has a midshaft u-joint and bearing.

Check the shoes for wear, will tell how much it's mowed. Rock it over by hand and check the bushing in the head of the cutter bar, if it's got a lot of slop probably wasn't maintained.Mostly general appearance, rolls and wobble box. New rolls probably about $1200 each.

Check condition of belt that drives the sicklebar. Unless they are different from a 469 the belt is a pain to change.

Look along the cutterbar and see if it is bent out of line.

KEH

Well I went and looked at it tonight and the wobb;e box is tight the belt for the cutter bar is new all the cutter bar blades are new and the chains and sprockets all look good. It was well maintained and the owner showed me all of the lube points and what he does every spring and fall.

The rollers have a couple small pieces missing, no bigger than a couple inch diameter but no loose spots around them. I figure that i will need to replace them in a couple years but it is an older haybine.

Tires are new and bearings were recently packed. I made an offer and he accepted so I hope that it will do me good. I only have about 7 acres of hay not too thick either.

Wish me luck!!!

Thanks Again,
Jeff

Sounds real good. I think the rollers will last longer than a couple of years.

KEH

Well I got it home today and cut an acre with it no problems, arms were not bent and it ran good. I had more toruble with setting up the hydraulics on my oliver then I did with the haybine, go figure.

I have only had the Oliver for a couple weeks, and "assumed" that it was set up for double acting cylinders. Well after getting into the book on it, I got it figured out. The cylinder still raises a little slow but it did what I needed it to do.

Take Care,
Jeff

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back