Super C sickle mower

Levi81

I have a fast hitch pitman mower for my Super C. I would like to converted it from riveted sections to bolted and from single point guards to double point guards. I am unsure of the model. It has one lift spring in back. I was thinking it was a C-21? I will be ordering a manual for it. Also, I will be cutting tall grass to bale with this machine. A long time ago my Dad said that for cutting grass, the section needs to be smooth and the guard serrated. Is this still the case? Since he passed away 2 years ago I no longer have the option of asking him. I know when I operated a self propelled sickle haybine on the farm, the sections were serrated and the guard smooth. He told me that if both were serrated, it wouldnt cut much of anything. Forgive me but I am having a hard time remembering what he told me.

Has anyone converted this type of sickle to bolted sections and double point guards? How has it worked? Would I be better off finding a new balanced head IH mower or New Holland 455? I do know that running stub or no clog guards is a vast improvement on New Holland machines, but I think my machine is too old for that. I do have a website called Webb Cutting components that seems to be a good source for parts.

My apologies for the long post. I sure wish my Dad was still around....
Thank you for any help

I have one of these mowers, but mine is a C-28. I have dual springs on the back. I have never tried the dual point hold down brackets. I have always ran the single point ones. I changed mine over from rivets to bolts a long time ago. It makes it much easier to change a section when out in the field. You need to be careful when tighting the bolts, because they are easy to twist off. It was 4 or 5 years ago on this site that was a real lively conversation on serrated verses smooth sections and ledger plates. I have always used Herschel B-1 S20-5107 serrated sections and ledger plates. The ledger plates that come on the bottom finger are always serrated. I even called Herschel customer service and asked them about smooth verses serrated. They told me it makes no difference if they match the ledger plates or not. I spent last Saturday mowing at the scout lands. It was meadows with every kind of grass, weeds and cactuses you can imagine. Even cut down some sandhill plum thickets. I can run in second gear at about 3/4 throttle.

To convert from single to double point guards, you remove two single point guards and install a double point. Yup, it's that simple.

To convert from riveted to bolted sections, you pound out the rivets and pound in the bolts. Again, it is really that simple.

Though, when you replace the guards, also replace the hold down clips with higher clearance ones. The stock clips will hit the nuts of the bolted sections.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back