Ford 8n Freeze Engine Plugs

baydog1

Hello. I have a Ford 8n that needs new freeze plugs. Not a big fan of the original replacements. Has anyone used rubber freeze plugs and had good luck with them holding up?
Thank you

I had a rubber one on my first N Series tractor. It wasn't leaking, but sure was ugly. The standard ones are easy to replace with the right sized ball peen hammer - one wack usually does it. Make sure to clean around the casting good to get all dirt and rust off and use a little permatex sealant around the edges for extra sealing protection.

Good luck,
Dan

I had a rubber one on my first N Series tractor. It wasn't leaking, but sure was ugly. The standard ones are easy to replace with the right sized ball peen hammer - one wack usually does it. Make sure to clean around the casting good to get all dirt and rust off and use a little permatex sealant around the edges for extra sealing protection.

Good luck,
Dan
Yep! It ain't rocket science.

just an FYI- they're not freeze plugs. their actual name is welch plugs, and their original purpose is to hold the sand in the block for casting.

wiki has a nice writeup on it.

Welch Plug

just an FYI- they're not freeze plugs. their actual name is welch plugs, and their original purpose is to hold the sand in the block for casting.

wiki has a nice writeup on it.

Welch Plug
They do not hold sand in the block for casting. They are used after the sand is removed from the casting and the holes have been machined, then they are installed to plug/seal the casting holes.

They do not hold sand in the block for casting. They are used after the sand is removed from the casting and the holes have been machined, then they are installed to plug/seal the casting holes.
interesting. ty for the correction.

The core plug hole is present as a "boss" on the water jacket core (a molded sand and resins replica of what you want to become air space in the cast metal) and/or the mold (exterior of what will be the engine block).
When the sand cores are assembled into the exterior engine block surfaces mold, the core holes help maintain the desired as cast metal thickness desired.
Then when the metal solidifies the mold is broken away and vibrated and rattled and shook until all of the sand cores fall apart to the point of flowing like an hourglass once again.
The water jacket core sand has to exit the cast metal block thru those core plug holes.
The welch/core plug has no other use after the sand exits the engine block.

Other than being utilized for a block heater as an after thought

My first twenty years of a real job was to design gas and electric furnaces for melting aluminum for casting purposes.

Most any local "real" auto parts store that's been around a while will have a variety of them in a drawer arranged by size.

And they are CHEAP.
Those local "real" parts store are going the way of radiator repair shops and automotive machine shops.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back