1947 8N Ford ballast reserter red hot

Hi,
I'm new here. Joined to help my Father.
He has a 1947 8N Ford . He has replaced the coil , distributor and rebuilt the starter.
Problem is the motor spins but the ballast resistor turns red hot.
I'm probably not phrasing the question correctly or giving enough info but it is a start.
Thank you for any help.

Hi,
I'm new here. Joined to help my Father.
He has a 1947 8N Ford . He has replaced the coil , distributor and rebuilt the starter.
Problem is the motor spins but the ballast resistor turns red hot.
I'm probably not phrasing the question correctly or giving enough info but it is a start.
Thank you for any help.
Take the wire off the top of the coil and then turn the ignition switch on. If it get how then you have a short some place. If it doesn't get hot good chance there is a short in the distributor or the points are bad and not opening as the y should

Flat head 4.
Parts where replaced because is was not starting then but that was 10 years ago.
Thanks for help
Welcome to the forums. Folks here need answers from you, we can't see it ourselves, you need to answer questions asked.

1. Is it an original 6-volt system or a 12-volt conversion?

2. Front or side mount distributor?

3. Where is the resistor, that is getting red hot, located on the tractor?

4. Please explain: "Problem is the motor spins but the ballast resistor turns red hot." Does "motor spins" mean it is turning with the starter but not running, commonly called cranking. Or the engine starts and runs, commonly called running.

You can also post a picture of the resistor and other things you may not be able to identify. Pictures can help people understand what you are looking at even if you may not have the correct terminology.

If I understand correctly, the coil and distributor were replace 10 years ago? Components can go bad during that time. Do what Old said, to start with and let us know.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back