cleaning inside of well casing

showcrop

How? This is for an elderly couple at church. The foot valve on the ejector of their deep well jet pump is leaking. The Pitless adapter which must be over thirty years old won't separate, so I am going to have to dig in order to get it apart and replace it. I am trying to have it all planned out, and my concern is how to get the casing clean enough on the inside for the new one to seal. My thought is to go first with a bar with a chisel end to get the biggest scale, then go to some 80 grit sandpaper on a plate perhaps welded to a bar. Is there a standard way of doing this?

how about a needle scaler hosed clamped to a pipe or what ever to reach it , it would be on an angle but it might clean it enough , or a 4 in grinded with a wire brush clamped to a 2x4

Is it a 2 inch well or 4 inch.If it's a two
inch well the pitless inside should come up
without alot of pull. If it's a four inch
it depends iF it's a weld on or bolt on.

(quoted from post at 12:44:56 05/01/19) how about a needle scaler hosed clamped to a pipe or what ever to reach it , it would be on an angle but it might clean it enough , or a 4 in grinded with a wire brush clamped to a 2x4

Is there sush a thing as an electric needle scaler? There is no air on site.

(quoted from post at 13:52:20 05/01/19) Is it a 2 inch well or 4 inch.If it's a two
inch well the pitless inside should come up
without alot of pull. If it's a four inch
it depends iF it's a weld on or bolt on.

It is a six inch casing. As I said in the OP the pitless won't come apart. If you are not familiar, there are two parts, one that lifts up and the other that goes THROUGH the wall of the casing and stays in position.

Showcrop, I had to use my tractor and loader on my
neighbors pitiless. Just put a little pressure on the tee handle
then wacked the tee handle with a maul. That one was
mean!

First question; how deep is this well ? My daughter had her well 'bombed' by a pro well guy. They put something in it (no idea what) that loosened up the 'stuff' in the casing, then pumped it almost dry a couple of times. Seemed to clean up the problem. I know you are talking about a pump situation - just thought I'd throw this in.

There were two types of pitless adapters back in the day, but I guess you can see which one it is. One of which had a set screw that tightened it together, the other just dropped in, if its the drop type I would try to pull it with front end loader or try pod and chain fall before I dug it up. If you do have to dig and take loose, to clean I would strap a orbital sander on a long handle to clean it. Then I would chlorinate the well casing.

(quoted from post at 17:23:04 05/01/19) Shopcrop. Why do you or are you having to clean the well casing .

Ditch witch, as I said in the OP "to get the casing clean enough on the inside for the new one to seal"

Bob and Greg, I have already tried hydraulics to lift it out. As I said in the OP, it will not separate. We were successful in breaking the casing seal adequately so that ground water was running into the well, and so that air was entering the water pipes within the casing so that the pump lost it's prime. Fortunately we used good enough judgement in operating the jacks so that we were able to get both leaks to reseal. An orbital sander could work, I will have to see if any of our guys has one, Thanks.

If it's the kind that I have installed the new gasket is pretty thick and soft, so I don't think you have to worry so much
about getting it real clean. But, if you want to, after you have all the old one out you could reach through the hole in the
casing with a die grinder with a brush on it, I think the hole is 2 inch, this is the kind I have installed.

cvphoto21698.jpg

(quoted from post at 08:23:13 05/02/19) If you can'tget it apart I'd try
installing check valve outside the well.

A jet pump with ejector at the bottom won't work with a check valve in line.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back