Any advice on specific tractors to look for.

I currently have a Kubota BX that used to fulfill all of my tractor needs. In the past couple of years, I have gotten into raising feeder pigs and have plans to eventually try out raising some bottle calves once I get our small pasture fenced in. The BX certainly can't handle a one-ton feed bin and, eventually, won't be able to handle a round bale. So, a loader capable of lifting at least a one-ton feed bin. Besides this, I will need a PTO post-hole digger when I finally get around to fencing in the pasture. The point being I need a larger tractor but I am not looking to bury myself in debt on a new or even a newer tractor.
I am mechanically inclined and don't mind a project, so I am looking for an old tractor. The problem is with so many brands and so many models within each brand, I get lost. So, what brands/models do you guys recommend for my use?

I’m not going to recommend a certain tractor, there are many that would work for you. But the following are things I consider when buying a tractor with your specification, in no particular order; 1) tractor that parts are locally available, 2) FWA with a loader, 3) 3 point, 4) good tires, 5) 540/1000 PTO, 6) 100+ HP, 7) low hours, 8) creature comforts (cab, PS, AC/heat, control layout, visibility, noise reductio, etc),

When getting into an older tractor avoid multi-stage hydraulic pumps and power shift transmissions except for two speed. They are great if under say, 5,000 hours and 20 years but beyond that they are getting near the end of trouble free life and are very difficult and expensive to repair.

I’m not going to recommend a certain tractor, there are many that would work for you. But the following are things I consider when buying a tractor with your specification, in no particular order; 1) tractor that parts are locally available, 2) FWA with a loader, 3) 3 point, 4) good tires, 5) 540/1000 PTO, 6) 100+ HP, 7) low hours, 8) creature comforts (cab, PS, AC/heat, control layout, visibility, noise reductio, etc),
Yep, good advice.

I currently have a Kubota BX that used to fulfill all of my tractor needs. In the past couple of years, I have gotten into raising feeder pigs and have plans to eventually try out raising some bottle calves once I get our small pasture fenced in. The BX certainly can't handle a one-ton feed bin and, eventually, won't be able to handle a round bale. So, a loader capable of lifting at least a one-ton feed bin. Besides this, I will need a PTO post-hole digger when I finally get around to fencing in the pasture. The point being I need a larger tractor but I am not looking to bury myself in debt on a new or even a newer tractor.
I am mechanically inclined and don't mind a project, so I am looking for an old tractor. The problem is with so many brands and so many models within each brand, I get lost. So, what brands/models do you guys recommend for my use?
You don't say whether you are going to need this tractor to produce the grain and hay or just handle it. If it's the latter, you might want to consider a skid steer.

@Tony in SD - That's the kind of advice I was really looking for. I am fairly up to date on terms that pertain to modern tractors from when I was looking at sub-compacts, but some of the older terms and designations I am unfamiliar with.
@ fusion1- I wouldn't mind finding an older Kubota since I am already familiar with them but the prices of Kubotas are nearly as high as Deere products.
@ Showcrop- Good advice, thank you.
@ Blackhole49- Just handling it, no production. I'd love a skid steer for many reasons but MAN do they stay high around here.

@Tony in SD - That's the kind of advice I was really looking for. I am fairly up to date on terms that pertain to modern tractors from when I was looking at sub-compacts, but some of the older terms and designations I am unfamiliar with.
@ fusion1- I wouldn't mind finding an older Kubota since I am already familiar with them but the prices of Kubotas are nearly as high as Deere products.
@ Showcrop- Good advice, thank you.
@ Blackhole49- Just handling it, no production. I'd love a skid steer for many reasons but MAN do they stay high around here.
For me, I'll only buy what I have local dealer support for.
Dealer support is Important when it comes to buying a cell phone, car, truck, or tractor.

For me, I'll only buy what I have local dealer support for.
Dealer support is Important when it comes to buying a cell phone, car, truck, or tractor.
Urban myth. OP is looking for "old tractor". Dealers are not interested in helping owners of old tractors. Sure they will pay you lip service, but they will not want your tractor in their shop and they will not be able to schedule their already stretched thin tech to come visit your old tractor. They can't keep up with warrantee work. The local independent guy is the way to go.

Urban myth. OP is looking for "old tractor". Dealers are not interested in helping owners of old tractors. Sure they will pay you lip service, but they will not want your tractor in their shop and they will not be able to schedule their already stretched thin tech to come visit your old tractor. They can't keep up with warrantee work. The local independent guy is the way to go.
I have gone to Case IH dealer for parts for my 1950 IH C.
I've also had to get parts for my 1953 Jubilee at the New Holland dealer.
Dealer support is important to me. It may not be important to you.
My neighbor has an old Case tractor. He would love to find parts to rebuild his power steering.

only issue with a skid stear is that they tend to tear up the ground and create mud at a faster rate than a 4x4 tractor.

Well the feed bin being almost a round bale weight is what made up my mind. You have discovered the game that a small tractor doesn’t mean a cheaper one...you weren’t interested in green it sounded like but I’ll say it anyway. 3020 wide front John Deere synchro range (get used to this and you will never want a powershift it’s like a rh reverser) gas engine paper air filter with either a 46a or 148 (preferably 148)two tilt cylinder loader. Does not have to be a side console for loader work especially or a diesel but if you want to spend a little more the options are there. They can be had for not a whole lot of money. The trouble with the 2000 series utilities is they will be light in the rear end. You can add weight but it took a cab the snow blower rim weights and filling the tires to get my 2555 usable in the snow. Without that if a loader is on they will barely be able to back on a trailer. I miss my 3010 diesel horribly even the diesel 4 cylinder wings over good in the cold. Will be more than big enough. You have the first modern hydraulics that changed the game although you need adapters on the rear and you can fix everything on them yourself it’s all mechanical controls. Gassers can be had for not a whole lot of money think 6 to 8 thousand for a very good one. Parts will also be available everywhere including here and the local boneyard and of course the stores everywhere. I know what I’d do again if it was me.

I have gone to Case IH dealer for parts for my 1950 IH C.
I've also had to get parts for my 1953 Jubilee at the New Holland dealer.
Dealer support is important to me. It may not be important to you.
My neighbor has an old Case tractor. He would love to find parts to rebuild his power steering.
You are welcome to keep going to those dealers for parts since you need to do something with your time. Both of those tractors are so common that you can get most of what you want at your corner auto parts store. When I used to go to the CNH dealer it would be one trip to order and another back to pick the part up once it came in. Much faster to order on line from YT or Messick's

You are welcome to keep going to those dealers for parts since you need to do something with your time. Both of those tractors are so common that you can get most of what you at your corner auto parts store. When I used to go to the CNH dealer it would be one trip to order and another back to pick the part up once it came in. Much faster to order on line from YT or Messick's
I had to go to the dealers and buy parts I couldn't find anyplace.
Terramite went out of business. I used to get parts from the factory.
Now I may have to make parts.GRR
That's is why I think dealer support very important.
Just my opinion. I think you need something to do with your time instead of condemning me for offering my opinion based on my experiences.
I do go to the Kubota dealer to buy oil and oil filters. Cheaper than you may think.
I go past the Kubota dealer 2x a day.
When I can I like to support local dealers for cars, trucks, tractors and Cell phones.

I had to go to the dealers and buy parts I couldn't find anyplace.
Terramite went out of business. I used to get parts from the factory.
Now I may have to make parts.GRR
That's is why I think dealer support very important.
Just my opinion. I think you need something to do with your time instead of condemning me for offering my opinion based on my experiences.
I do go to the Kubota dealer to buy oil and oil filters. Cheaper than you may think.
I go past the Kubota dealer 2x a day.
When I can I like to support local dealers for cars, trucks, tractors and Cell phones.
I didn't condemn you, I said that you are welcome to. I get most of my filters when my local independent auto parts store who I like to support has their annual spring WIX filter sale. They are much closer than CNH or Kubota. I have priced oil at both CNH and Kubota.

I have nothing against John Deere but the prices stay high.
I love my Kubota, never had a single issue with it, and I would certainly buy another one.
I actually have a new neighbor that has a small collection of old tractors, not sure on the brand, but I am going to have to stop in and get to know him once the weather warms up.
Before I started thinking about loader work with one, I was going to look around and find a cheap 9N to tinker with. They are a dime a dozen around here and I figured that would be a good starting point.

580 K Case Backhoe.
Keep your tractor, let the hoe do the lifting and digging.
2WD units in WKY 10-15K, add 3-5K for 4WD. Best money you’ll ever spend!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back