1702D Tire Ratio?

confab-HT

New User
What is the tire ratio for a 1702D?

PO has installed one BKT 8.3x22 on one side. It is brand new.

Other side has a Bridgestone of the same stated size, but it is noticeably larger. It is very old. Could be original? I assume this is the "Rice Paddy" tire that came on them stock? Is there any way I can tell?

I ordered a matching BKT tire (8.3x22) to match the new one, then noticed the difference in height.

What will this do to my 4wd tire ratio and what would be the best way to fix it?

How much difference could be important. My experience and i think recommended is only run in 4 wheel drive when needed and be careful on hard surfaces. It is a shame tire manufacturers don't stick together on size. I know the 220/226 manual calls for 1 to 4 percent lead on front tires so there is some leeway.

Well, it is WAY off of that.

Tell me if I messed something up, because I don't think I did.

I blocked one side of the tractor up, engaged 4wd and put the transmission in Neutral. I precisely marked the bottom of each tire and rotated the rear wheel one revolution. This turned the front wheel about 1.6875 revolutions.

Using manufacturer's Rolling Circumference spec for 5-14 front and the 8-22 BKT TR171 tire he purchased for the rear, I get an 11% lead ratio.

Which concerns me, because what it means is I actually need a 9.5-22 rear tire to get back into the 2 to 3 % range.

Were the "Rice" tires really that much taller? Because the 9.5's TR144's the math says I need are in the neighborhood of 39.4 inches tall. That's a huge increase over what I have. But, I'm sure I did the calculation correctly. I even found an online calculator and it agreed?

<ATTACHMENT filename="lead lag.PNG" index="0"><s>[attachment=0]</s>lead lag.PNG<e>[/attachment]</e></ATTACHMENT>

<LINK_TEXT text="https://www.titan-.../en/resources/Lead-Lag-Calculator</LINK_TEXT>

42810_6a87a192bd3e39a1d8443b74075fc85b.png

Thanks.. I do now.

I never owned a tractor before I got this one. So, this problem was new to me. If it wasn't for the huge difference in tires of the same stated size? I never would have looked into it.

Hopefully, anyone with similar problems will have an easier time of it with the links above to assist them..

I bought this tractor with a broken differential (The second broken differential. I installed the third diff.) and based on how the thrusts for the side gears were worn, I strongly suspect this mismatch and the binding led to its demise.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back