New John Deere 40 owner

jrinaz

New User
HI all. New owner of an inherited John Deere 40. Was lawn art in a neighbors yard and new owner was going to scrap. So after dragging it off property now need to figure out what to do with it. It is complete. Rear tires aired right up.

My first question to at least make it a roller to get it out of the way. It is a single front wheel with a front fork. 7.50 x 10 tire was petrified and we cut it off. Have new tire/tube/liner. A little heat got the rim/wheel apart and now cleaned up. Spindle that all is running on is a/ok but at ends of spindle, cast caps with 3 cap screws. One of these caps spindle goes through is broken in half. It is a cast piece so welding not really an option.

1. Will get pics to post
2. Dont see any 40 series with a single fr wheel with this bike fork style set up? Someones custom they built or modified?

In Phx Az and have found no one in the valley for info/parts.

Give me some thoughts/suggestions. Thanks, Jeff

HI all. New owner of an inherited John Deere 40. Was lawn art in a neighbors yard and new owner was going to scrap. So after dragging it off property now need to figure out what to do with it. It is complete. Rear tires aired right up.

My first question to at least make it a roller to get it out of the way. It is a single front wheel with a front fork. 7.50 x 10 tire was petrified and we cut it off. Have new tire/tube/liner. A little heat got the rim/wheel apart and now cleaned up. Spindle that all is running on is a/ok but at ends of spindle, cast caps with 3 cap screws. One of these caps spindle goes through is broken in half. It is a cast piece so welding not really an option.

1. Will get pics to post
2. Dont see any 40 series with a single fr wheel with this bike fork style set up? Someones custom they built or modified?

Below is a link to the official parts catalog.

Some parts ARE still available from the John Deere dealer, or you can at least find the part numbers to search on-line.

If you check out the first page you will see that your single front wheel was a factory option.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc...JT04sNTI4NDojQ0FUQUxPRyw2Nzk3MzpFUVVJUE1FTlRd

You can download a FREE .pdf of the operator's manual @ https://techpubs.deere.com/en-US/Search/Equipment or purchase one there or from other sources.

Wore out!!!! Thanks for the heads up. Yes page 121 has the blow up of the single wheel attachment. Anypone have a single bearing cover ? m 1178T part number. Or would love to buy a set or single?

That would at least allow me to get front wheel back on and rolling till I figure out what I am going to do with this treasure.

Thanks again!

Jeff

1. Will get pics to post

Cast can be welded

Can't wait to see some pics as they are a very uncommon tractor around here. Would be interested to know the condition of the sheet metal after being in the AZ sun for decades, has to be better than being here in OH.

Will take some pics this week. Sheet metal is near perfect other than sun bleached real well. Battle plan is to get it running and then see what we want to do. Unit is complete and to nice to not do something with it.

1. Will get pics to post

Knowing that the temporary goal is just to get it as a roller so you can work on it, could you use something like a SBPF206-20 bearing flange to replace your cast part and bearing to get it mobile and allow you time to find the right part or get yours fixed?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back