1950 M Farmall clutch, installed new clutch and pressure plate. now when engage clutch cant shift without grinding gears,

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELP 1950 M Farmall, installed new clutch and pressure plate, used up all the rod adjustment still cant shift into gears without grinding

HELP 1950 M Farmall, installed new clutch and pressure plate, used up all the rod adjustment still cant shift into gears without grinding
If you put it in gear, hold the breaks or block the wheels, can you start the engine? If it tries to move forward, the clutch driven disc could be in backwards. the flat side of the disc must be toward the flywheel or the cushion springs will hit the flywheel bolts and cause that. If the disc got bent when there was a struggle to get it to mate fully, the bent disc will drag on the Pressure plate and flywheel and cause that. If you can start it in gear with the clutch pushed in, and than cannot shift to another gear the driven disc is likely bent. Jim

First thought I had was maybe the clutch disc was installed backwards. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. I put a slider gear in backwards on a jeep transmission, and had only low and reverse. Stan

Where were the p.p. fingers in relation to the throw-out bearing when you got the new clutch in ? May have used up all your adjustment on that if they were too far away, and nothing wrong with the clutch at all.

If you put it in gear, hold the breaks or block the wheels, can you start the engine? If it tries to move forward, the clutch driven disc could be in backwards. the flat side of the disc must be toward the flywheel or the cushion springs will hit the flywheel bolts and cause that. If the disc got bent when there was a struggle to get it to mate fully, the bent disc will drag on the Pressure plate and flywheel and cause that. If you can start it in gear with the clutch pushed in, and than cannot shift to another gear the driven disc is likely bent. Jim
In short to repeat what Jim is saying, will it go in gear at all? When you shut the engine off and put it in gear what happens when you restart it, does the clutch release at all with the pedal held down? I believe it’s in if it’s in backwards if you put it in gear with the engine off and then start the engine and hold the pedal down it probably will not release so the tractor will move or the engine will be killed if you hold the brakes. Or if it does release, there will be a bunch of racket. I really don’t know how people do this, inexperience I guess. Every time you put a clutch in should hold the disk up against the flywheel and try to turn it if it’s just a smooth ssshhh sound as it, slides against the flywheel all is good. If it rotates roughly or catches, maybe sounding like a muffled machine gun that is not the way it should be put in. The cushion springs are hitting the flywheel bolts. The cushion springs should be inside the opening of the pressure plate. Looking at the YT parts for an M it doesn’t look like it has a spring cushion setup. In that case when you do the trial test of fitting the lined plate against the flywheel if it tips around then that is the wrong way, the center hub spline in the lines plate is probably made off center. So more hub sticks out of one side then the other.

Last edited:
IF the lined plate is not installed backwards it is likely that the new lined plate is "almost right" and is thicker than what the pressure plate was set up for, which causes the release fingers to be too far forward/away from the throwout bearing.

Another possibility is whatever you have for a pilot bearing is dragging or jammed up. But start with the easy stuff first. Make sure there is minimal clearance between clutch fingers and throw-out bearing with the clutch pedal on its stop (deck).

I'd like to know what the free travel is on the clutch pedal. Perhaps it was adjusted backward and now has 3 inches of free travel. Would also be nice to hear more info from the O.P.

I'd like to know what the free travel is on the clutch pedal. Perhaps it was adjusted backward and now has 3 inches of free travel. Would also be nice to hear more info from the O.P.
Years ago when I put new clutch plate and pressure plate in my SMTA I had the same problem. I split it again and adjusted the pressure plate per service book. They are supposed to be right when you get them but mine wasn't. Worked fine after adjusting fingers on PP.

And also that coupler between the clutch shaft and trans shaft only goes in one way! And it can be installed wrong. Sure too bad when guys have a problem they don’t help out with solving it.

And also that coupler between the clutch shaft and trans shaft only goes in one way! And it can be installed wrong. Sure too bad when guys have a problem they don’t help out with solving it.
Good point the clutch disc would be rattling around it the FW recess and woof. Jim

And I am sure that’s what the problem is.
Always sure are we matey!?!? Per the handy dandy new improved YT, the OP was last seen at 3:16P on 4/27. Which means he hasn’t seen a single reply written, unless he is viewing it without signing in. Maybe he had a self revealing moment of the actual problem.

well at least i am sure, and not scrounging the internet before typing a story, as the vet always told you.🥱

well at least i am sure, and not scrounging the internet before typing a story, as the vet always told you.🥱
You’re right again! I forgot to look at the sticky note on my mirror this morning that says “you’re an idiot” Well I figure I can just look it up on the internet later today. Wait, I didn't even have to look it up, somebody pointed it out to me. I can’t see how my day could possibly go any better than this. Hope when buckaroo comes back that he confirms you’re right so you can put another tally scratch on your wall.

To Used and Rust! You both have great insight and knowledge base. Thank you for that. ease up on each other please.
Well dang it. Get tired of being criticized for posting an answer trying to help the guy out and get jabs instead. The only marks I got on my wall is in a grainerie with the 5 marks for counting pails of grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back