Rotor quit rotating on my 8N what may have happen?

Went to start my Ford 8N and it would not start. I took the distributor cap of to check the point for spark and I pushed on the starter button I notice that the rotor was not turning. What could have broken? Timing gear or gear on the distributor shaft?

(quoted from post at 15:02:11 09/26/23)
Went to start my Ford 8N and it would not start. I took the distributor cap of to check the point for spark and I pushed on the starter button I notice that the rotor was not turning. What could have broken? Timing gear or gear on the distributor shaft?
gear on distributor shaft" says it is a side mount distributor. Gear or pin that holds it to shaft sheared or as you said, could be timing gear. Without some diagnosing, it is all a guessing game. Take a spark plug out, light & morror and look at valves and see if moving ot stationary as engine is cranking with starter.
VGVX5Ch.jpg

wAMST9O.jpg

----or remove governor and look at timing gear
ZtaeZMM.jpg

The first thing I would do is see if I could turn the rotor and shaft by hand. If so, then it's probably the sheered pin. If not then, start checking for a timing gear problem.

(quoted from post at 15:59:46 09/26/23)
Well, ya could jest yank it out and look !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Side mount yes. Mark your dist and rotor. Rotor again after you pull it.

Put it on TDC #1 first off

This post was edited by Mad Farmer on 09/27/2023 at 07:03 am.

Always let the reader know up front in your post details on what you are talking about like Front or Angle Mount Distributor, and if 6V or 12V. We don't know til a few replies after. First thing to check when tractor won't start is the battery. When left setting with no float charger attached, will drain battery in days. A simple VOM can verify voltage on battery. Local ALT/GEN shop can test battery on their machine. If it won't sustain a charge, get a new one. How do you test points for spark? Spark is tested on plugs. Incorrect wiring 99% of all non-starting issues. B4 you begin yanking off parts willy nilly best to verify all with manuals. When was the last time you had it running and how did it run then? Any recent changes like tune up? 8N Firing Order 1,2,4,3 CCW on both front and angle mount distributor. Angle (side) Mount timing set thru engine side inspection cover on flywheel marked in degrees with a timing light. OP MANUAL tells how to do initial setting without by using your thumb on a plug hole.

0lJkefHl.jpg

vMVOJcNl.jpg

Tim Daley (MI)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back