Removing surface rust with Iron Out

sonnythomas

Just playing around. Wife went shopping. Had some Iron Out laying around and wondered if would work on the rust of my Oliver 1650. Maybe not the best and perhaps something better.
1 cup of Iron Out in 1 gallon of warm water. Stir, but watch as it does foam some. Followed instructions - dampen with clear water and then apply Iron Out mix.

Not bad, just had to wait out things. Coated it good and walked away for a while. Came back gave it another coat of Iron Out. Basically, I just let the coat of Iron Out dry and then coated it again. Did it a few times. Some places a little heavy with rust, but getting gooder (loved my English teacher).

Top was testing. Taking longer than I thought, but hey, I'm retired. Got nothing better to do than spending my kid's inheritance.

Iron out 1650.jpg
Iron Out 007.JPG

I would imagine that your Iron Out has an acid base much like CLR. Interesting its effect on the rusty painted surface. Wax would seem to be the next step to keep the rust from reappearing. Might give it a try on some fenders I'm not wanting to repaint yet.

Caution. I messed up. Didn't follow instructions completely. It says to rinse with clean water. I didn't. Where the Iron Out mixture got on other metal it gave a surface rust. This rust was easily removed with a spray oil and cloth.
So it's not all that good to use.
I would imagine that your Iron Out has an acid base much like CLR. Interesting its effect on the rusty painted surface. Wax would seem to be the next step to keep the rust from reappearing. Might give it a try on some fenders I'm not wanting to repaint yet

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back