Need Advice-hiring hauler for 135 mi trip - vintage Trac

Am purchasing a 1964 Ford HD Industrial Tractor with original Ford Loader and Backhoe attached. Combined weight is about 7500 lbs. Width is 72", Height is 147". Going about135 miles from N. Berwick ME to Rockland, ME. Can be moved at any time over next 2 months, so no time limit. Internet searches are confusing, heavy equipment flatbeds seems like overkill and too expensive. Can anyone suggest something like Shiply, or other type of company for a quote, should I try to find a smaller towing company locally, or is there some other way to go? This is a Coastal Route in Maine, and is not likely a common route for major carriers. Cost is an issue for me, I only paid $1500 for the tractor with loader and backhoe, so do not really want to spend over $750 for this move. Also, tractor is not running well, and will need to be winched onto the trailer or truck. Any help really would be appreciated. Thanks, Larry.

(quoted from post at 11:16:31 10/04/23) Am purchasing a 1964 Ford HD Industrial Tractor with original Ford Loader and Backhoe attached. Combined weight is about 7500 lbs. Width is 72", Height is 147". Going about135 miles from N. Berwick ME to Rockland, ME. Can be moved at any time over next 2 months, so no time limit. Internet searches are confusing, heavy equipment flatbeds seems like overkill and too expensive. Can anyone suggest something like Shiply, or other type of company for a quote, should I try to find a smaller towing company locally, or is there some other way to go? This is a Coastal Route in Maine, and is not likely a common route for major carriers. Cost is an issue for me, I only paid $1500 for the tractor with loader and backhoe, so do not really want to spend over $750 for this move. Also, tractor is not running well, and will need to be winched onto the trailer or truck. Any help really would be appreciated. Thanks, Larry.

North Berwick to Rockland is generally the wrong direction for freight haulers in Maine, they generally want loads out of the state, not deeper in. Your best will be someone like Tyler's Towing out of Waldoboro. He has come over this way (northwest of Auburn) and picked things up for people over your way. Given an open tie frame for the haul he might be able to fit it in with something going south towards Berwick.

There has been a guy with a gooseneck around the Waterville area, I think, advertising on Craigslist and maybe Facebook at times about moving equipment.

If you had a friend with a heavy gooseneck set up (14K to 21K) they might be able to haul it. I am guessing the 147'' height is the top of the dipper with the hoe folded up in transport position. Common practice is to lower the hoe boom when hauling to lower the height.

Jim, thanks for the info. Tractors I have purchased previously I had transported by local tow trucks with the
tilting flatbed,i.e a 2N, 9N, and TO-30. Your suggestions sound right. There are a few goose neck trailers around
here, but I will have to find out who is running them. Yes, the height measurement I gave was with the backhoe in
the vertical position with bucket on the ground. We can extend it easily to lower the Center of Gravity of the Load,
which will extend the total length, but a gooseneck trailer should be OK. I am hoping for a load price of $5.00 per
mile without any add ons. Also will contact hauler as per your suggestion, thanks so much for the local knowledge
you have. Best regards, Larry.

You should be able to lower the height enough by just lowering the hoe boom with the bucket and dipper folded underneath the boom, so it won't extend it as much as unfolding the bucket and dipper. at 147" (12' 3'') you would need a trailer deck no more than 15'' (1' 3'') to be at or below the 13'6'' legal height limit.

Needing to winch it on could affect who can haul it and the cost.

What is it for a loader tractor and backhoe? 7500 pounds sounds light for a unit carrying a hoe as large as 147'' high with the bucket on the ground.

You need to have the hoe height down to about 120 inches or 10 feet to haul no most trailer other than a detach /lowboy and not need over height permits and if you get into that you will really see hauling rates go up. For just 135 miles can it be fixed so it can run better eaily if so then just drive it or load it live would increase your opportunities for hauling. And would make it a bit cheaper. When you have to pull things on or have them loaded on roll backs then transferred to the hauling trailers that costs more for haulinf. Everything you can do to make it easier to load will help on price.

Thanks guys. The specs on the HD Industrial are 3900 lbs, the book specs on the 712 Loader are 737 lbs, and the 723 backhoe is 2606 lbs, so I used 7,500 lbs vs. the book weight of 7,243 lbs. The max height is with the backhoe in the fully upright position, but I can easily bring this down significantly by extending the arm as Jim suggests. I will take a trip down to the tractor in a week or two with plenty of tools, jacks, straps, and chains to prep it for movement, and will do what I can to get it started. Owner has indicated the valves are stuck and engine smokes a lot with little power when he last ran it, so I hear what you suggest about keeping the costs down by being able to drive it on. Right now my best case scenario is to locate someone locally who has a gooseneck trailer and a heavy duty pickup with the bed hitch. Thanks for all the help, the cost is important to me, but a safe haul is more important to me. Thanks, Larry.

You should be able to curl the bucket completely up then lay the boom down on the trailer deck and be good on the height. I used to haul them on a 42 inch deck height that way and be legal by several inches. No room ro stretch it out the other way with 2 on the trailer.

Congratulations Larry!
I was real tempted to buy that myself.
It's less than ten miles from my place.
If I can help drop me a line.

Joe

Joe, thanks for the feedback. It was either this or the Ford 960, or wait for an arps to come up. I did a full rebuild and restore on my 850, but this one is my first Industrial, and although there are similarities, there are also a heck of a lot of differences as well. Actually all I was looking for was a Backhoe for my 850, but this came up. Used Backhoes are around $3,500, and this one would be way too heavy for an 850, but as it came as a full package of loader, backhoe and Industrial tractor for only $1,500, it just made so much more sense to ruin the next year of my life restoring yet another few pieces of old iron. Look forward to talking with you once I get it delivered. You should be able to send me an email on modern view. Best, Larry

There is a hauling schedule page in the column to the left on this page. You might try there.

Pay for the freight FOB .Don't forward money of any kind till it is delivered. If you do 2 things can happen they never talk to you again and why, they got your cash ;2 No control over timeliness of hauling . As for hauling make sure they have cargo and liability insurance if doubtful get a copy if they will not do that or offer to verify that run don't walk away. IF it falls of the truck or hits a bridge you will pay for the damage to the equipment not them.

Thanks for the advice. Will do. To be honest, had not thought of that issue, I guess I just had naive faith in my fellow man. I can say that one of the reasons I keep working on restoring the old iron, is that I very much enjoy the people I come into contact with in this field, but equipment haulers may be a different group of people entirely. But will do as you suggest. Thanks, Larry.

So, you haven't made hauling arrangements
yet?
I've had some luck with you ship before
I had a man haul two Ford 8n's from New
Gloucster to York.
I didn't want to make two trips.
He did it for about what it would have
cost me.
I had to wait three weeks though.
He did it as a back trip.

Joe

Joe, no, have not made the arrangements yet. I will drive down to the tractor next week to get it started, move the backhoe down and in, strap and chain the various parts for transport, i.e. dog legs, take some photos, and measurements, so I have exact information to give to prospective haulers, and then arrange a hauler. I have a few leads now on appropriate haulers, but have not contacted them as yet, will hopefully confirm a hauler next week after my trip. Boy, am I glad I don't have a wife to teach me a lesson. However, I swear to all of you, I promise, this is absolutely positively my last vintage tractor purchase. I swear, really, I mean it this time.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back