Need Advice - Looking for a Tractor

searcyfarms

New User
Hello Everyone - I have been lurking for some time now and am finally ready to pull the trigger for our family. I have been reading and trying to figure out what to do. My first post so please bear with me. I will try to explain to provide info on my situation to help you all guide me. I have been prayerfully considering things but I honestly need wise counsel from you all.....

Here is my situation - I have an almost 80y/o father and a wife that will be using this tractor so keep that in mind for easy of entry, operation and what not.

I grew up on all kinds of tractors - working for many different farmers row cropping and livestock plus haying.

Been on A, C, H, M, 300, 400, 06, 56, 66 Farmall/IH stuff - B, A, 3010, deere - WD45, D17, D19, 180 Allis - 8n, 9n, Jubilee, 901, 4000, 4600, 6600, 7700, 8600, 9000, 9600, Fords, of late 2-105 White.

My personal tractors currently are 2210 sub compact deere for yard/garden - 560D and dad and I have a 706D/German diesel w/cab. John Deere B and A that I grew up on.

51y/o and dad is almost 80 - Looking at getting into a tractor for mainly mowing with a 15' batwing/CRP - loader work but have a skid steer and 706D has a great bend loader on it.

Issues to overcome are this -

at 80 DAD is not as agile nor as well balanced so climbing straight up into the 706D is becoming scary and worrisome for mom and I. I know dad is going to fall backwards climbing up/down one of these days its just a matter of time - one slip of the foot and - oh my. There is going to be NO keeping him out of a tractor so that is not an option HA!!

It takes some real strength and agility to get up/down from an old cab on a 706 D with a straight ladder. We rent out all our ground now and or have it in CRP. I help a friend maintain 300plus acres of CRP. Lots of mowing.

Likes/dislikes - my buddies 2-105 white has been a fiasco for 10 yrs - ugh....from hydraulic issues to overheating ( never have gotten that fixed ) hard starting if below 50 degress, AC not reliable gave up on it, hydraulic leaks, fuel issues/tank leaks, blah blah - I do like the ride and over/under - perkins engine seems ok for power but pulls down with batwing in crp - have to go slow to keep from overheating. The klunky shifting is hard for dad with the 706. Would like something better than that. I can deal with it but not good for my wife either.

Started using the old 706D to mow with the 15' batwing in the CRP due to my buddies White being down so much - amazingly enough that thing handles the mower pretty good - it bogs down some like the White 2-105 but will hang right with it in most stuff due to the gear down in the white from overheating. I am impressed with the German Diesel and how it handles the small clumps of multiflower rose and wild plum thickets and Sericea Lespedeza - overall does ok just loud in the cab and hot and not good for my allergies - makes me physically sick for a few days but as we all do.........suck it up and do it!!!

1) Need easy entry/exit for dad - 80y.o
2) Need easy shifting/learning for my wife and dad - Their legs are not as strong as mine and my 250lb frame to stomp on a 706 clutch.
3) Does a MFWD ride better than a 2wd tractor? - I have never driven a Large Frame 100HP+ MFWD tractor - logic would tell me bigger tires would ride better on small bumps but then again shorter wheel base like a jeep with big tires doesn't produce a better ride. Obviously heavier is better for ride period so 100plus larger frame seems better not to mention dragging around a heavy batwing and we have an 18foot wing disk mainly used anymore for edge disking the CRP and making food plots.
4) Must have a Cab/heat/air - I have bad allergies as well as asthma so it triggers that and I get anaphylactic shock episodes occassionally after mowing if I don't stay on top of the allergies. Of course a well sealed/quiet cab go w/out saying.
5) Must be 100HP PTO minimum - preferably 120ish to 150
6) I am not opposed to a 2wd tractor as I don't mow when its muddy and 90% of the time I am not out wallowing in mud that I worry about getting stuck. I just want something to ride descent when disking or mowing for hours at a time, Can hear when I get out, and am not sick from all the allergies, I wear a particle mask/respirator now when mowing 100% of the time.

I don't have the $$$ to support a money pit nor do I want to be working on these every time I get off work and head to dads for the weekend which is why I have stuck with the IH stuff - the 706D and my 560 have been VERY trouble free - nearly every weekend we need to use it we are working on that stupid White and get little done that is why I have started taking the 706 over there as I said u work on that white, I am going to get something done so we both aren't frustrated. I do NOT like the LOUD ear ringing cab on the 706 it is horrific.

I like the T/A and over/under speed on the White so a person doesn't have to shift all the time when a tough spot comes along.

I have read a lot about the 88 series IH vs the 86 ( from reading not in real life ) and mainly shifting stuff seems better than the 86 not to mention the rear visibility for mowing and drawbar are topics of frustration - quieter cab and a/c on the 88?

I love the sounds of the 7110-7120 7210-7220 tractors they sound good with the power shift and better cab?

Deere will be out of my price I am sure as well as the 7100/7200 CIH series units.

We have all three dealers former allis now AGCO, also handles kubota - Former IH now CASE IH, Former Ford now New Holland/Bobcat dealer all within 20 miles - Deere closer to 50 one way. So we have dealer support for most units.

Budget wise - looking at 25Kish - I DO NOT want to go under 100HP basically cause I know a large frame tractor will ride so much better with the extra weight and that 2-105 and my 706D pull down in tall stuff we could mow faster if we had more ponies. Yes I am familiar with Tractor House but I get a list of things to compare but don't have the knowledge of them other than I can tell what color they are and don't know of the gremlins that lie within. I don't need another project I need something that works.

I will be selling my 560D as its not as good a tractor as the 706D - I like it for mediocre things and the fuel economy is unbelievable but I want to move to a cabbed tractor so it will help offset some of my budget issues and I can use the 706 for most things I use the 560 for. My 560 is a cream puff stored indoors with flat top 656 fender - paint faded is all and a couple lil leaks. Its been in the family for 20yrs.

Fire Away with recommendations!!!!

Blessings to all,
Robert

You are right in the budget of a JD 4440 I'd think ? Not so sure how easy any large tractor is going to be to climb into ? Sell some of the others and add some to the pot and go check out a newer Kubota. Lots of guys and gals on here seem to be getting those.

No help on a tractor, but you might also want to consider the possibility of upgrading the stock seat with a quality air-ride seat. They can be bought on Amazon and other places. You might also want to add a used tracked tractor to your list to soften the ride, or maybe modifying a wheeled MFWD tractor to tracks.

As for climbing up on the tractor, there are several thoughts that come to mind - most probably not any good. *lol* However, rather than "climbing" steps up and down, if you're any good at fabricating things, might could make an electric lift. Someone stands on the lift, pushes the button, and the lift moves whichever way it needs to go, then stops when it gets there. Would be similar to riding on an escalator, only without the thing moving beforehand. Another idea might be a retractable stairway with hand rail - could have an electric linear actuator or two raise and lower the stairway to provide enough clearance for tractor needs.

Might also help to know what part of the country you're in as well as what all this tractor will be used for; mowing/brush cutting, plowing, tilling, planting, harvesting, discing, etc. Will it have FEL? Flat land or hills? Will the tractor ever go in/around trees, or remain only in open areas?

oh shoot let me add the location to my info - I am in northern Missouri up around Cameron and north - fairly flat, some small hills and what not - but not unmanageable with a FEL or 2wd just wondering if a MFWD rides better or not - Oh and so you know our tractors get around 50 to 75 hours a year of use - not a lot

Someone on here posted about a lift that they made to get in/out of tractor, that might be option and keep existing tractor.

You sure your dad is safe with the big iron?

ok so I just checked out a 4440 they have two transmissions, a quad range and a power shift? which is the more reliable/desirable in that tractor?

Our local Craigslist has a 4430 with cab- the guy added a set of combine steps for easier access to the cab. Would be more than enough power, asking $16500. We are partial to Deere, but our dealership is less than ten miles away.

A JD 5500 MFWD with loader can be bought around your price range, would replace several of the other units if you so choose, and I think it would have no trouble with that size mower. There are a couple of guys here who mow A LOT more than I do, so I hope they chime in.

Ditto on the Kubota suggestion, especially with the closest dealer support. My thought is [u:c5c06c39d9]any[/u:c5c06c39d9] used tractor in your price range has the chance to be awesome, or a mechanic's delight like the White has been.

For ease of use, get the 4440 with a power shift. You can also get the upgraded entry step that should be much easier for your father to get in/out. Try out a few models in your budget with your dad and see which suits best. Ben

I built this lift for an older gent who couldn't get on he 3010 anymore. This video is my wife taking it for a test ride. I can link you to the whole build so you can see how it is made if you like. The post on this site where I showed the build is corrupted and doesn't show it all anymore. This might be one solution for getting on anyway.
Handicap lift.

First off I would have someone fab some steps with side rails so your father does'nt fall off the 706.Your living on borrowed time before he falls and ends up paralyzed.. Upholstery will help quiet the cab on the 706.Mowing before the weeds are pollenating will help with your allergies and wont take as much horse power.Sounds to me like the white has been neglected for years.There has to be a solution as to why it overheats.It takes a fair amount of money to keep 40year plus tractors operating.As far as getting another tractor if you don't keep them serviced and keep the radiator clean it will be junk too! Good luck.

The White just needs the radiator re cored. I had to do it to mine last year and to my 2-135 this year.

(quoted from post at 09:29:00 09/02/17) I built this lift for an older gent who couldn't get on he 3010 anymore. This video is my wife taking it for a test ride. I can link you to the whole build so you can see how it is made if you like. The post on this site where I showed the build is corrupted and doesn't show it all anymore. This might be one solution for getting on anyway.
Handicap lift.
Jon -- Awesome lift!! Was just what I was trying to imagine earlier. My hat's off to you, sir.

For the $25K you can easily get a good cab and 100 plus horsepower. Like the other person posted you can easily get a JD 4240 or 4440 for that money. Transmission choices are the 16 speed quad range or an 8 speed Power shift. Both are very reliable. I like the quad range just because of the choice of gears. They do require some learned skill to shift them correctly but it is not rocket science either. For your usage the 8 speed power shift would work great too. You can get a good set of steps so your Father can get on and off easily. (first picture)

You can also get a good set of steps for that IH 706 too. K&M make a great set of steps with a nice hand rail. They will cost you around $450 delivered. (Second picture)

Also where are you located??? IT makes a difference in value of tractors. You can email me if you would like to talk.
a170820.jpg

a170821.jpg

Don't give up on John Deere tractors in the 25K range. I bought a 1983 John Deere 4450 2wd with a JD 158 front end loader, 6250 hrs for $27.5K from a JD dealership. Has great cab, air, air seat, etc, and I've had it for 6 yrs and put another 2200 hrs on it without any maintenance, except for a water pump and doesn't use a drop of oil or leak any fluids. Got lots of power (466 turbo engine), heavy frame, and is my favorite ranch tractor. I've added a GPS system for spraying and it has a nice set of cab stairs. Have 5 other JD tractors and have not had any issues with them either. Had to put a clutch and TA in my IH 3588, AC is always out and the cab and gear shifting is a negative. Snoopy has a lot of traction, power, and great engine for cheap power but not a creature comfort tractor. I believe the JD 44XX series are some of the best tractors ever built. Your dad would probably like the Power Shift the best but mine are Quad Shifts which I really like and they are very dependable. The PS's are nice for haying if you have to vary speeds a lot. JMHO

You definitely want a power shift but stay away from the newer electronic ones. They can be money pits. Strictly levers no push buttons.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back