Mitsubishi D1800 (II)

ster1

Hi folks,
I just picked up an old Mitsubishi D1800 (II) with a bulldog loader on it. It s got a KE95 2 cylinder diesel. I did some work on the final drives, got those all fixed up, went to start it, and the engine cranked maybe 10 degrees and stopped cold. Even a wrench on the crank wouldn t budge it. I pulled the glow plugs out, and tried again, and took an antifreeze shower :). Head is cracked right in between the intake and exhaust valves, on both cylinders. Both were full of coolant, and the engine oil was black, so both cracks must have gone into the water jacket. I told my customer all this and after awhile he just gave it to me for the bill. I ll take the head around to a few machine shops and ask for advice, but I m assuming it s trashed. There s a shop in Mississippi that apparently has a used one for sale for about $1200. That s an option, but a little spendy. Does anyone know of any other options I might have? Any salvage yards you could suggest I check? Thanks for any suggestions!

I'd check with machine shops to see if they have contacts with a welder capable and willing to try. But, all said and done $1200 may be cheaper than the welding, machine work, new valves, guides etc that be required.

The one I saw online was 1250 but that includes a valve job, ready to install.

Not cheap, but if the rest of the tractor is good, they are a nice little machine. I think the KE95 in that tractor is around 25HP but a really high torque machine.

I had a Satoh Bull, with the same. Loader and backhoe and really useful. I pulled a 5' mower but less that full width cuts in heavy fescue.

(quoted from post at 13:41:22 10/13/22) There are Stich lock repair companies that are marvelously capable. Jim

I just dropped the head off at a machinist who says he might be able to fix it. I don t know for sure yet though. It certainly would be nice!

I got some bad news. The head is beyond repair, and there is only one company who has a head I can buy, but I m not willing to pay 1300 bucks for it. I m either going to look into installing a V twin like a Kohler or Predator, or just strip all the hydraulics and loader off and scrap the tractor.

I see a few 20(ish) HP twins for sale on various platforms, like purple wave, Craig s, fb marketplace etc. for 500 or so. Yanmars and Kubotas, mostly. They all seem to have a variety of bellhousing configurations, like what side the starter is on, etc. it does make me wonder if the clutch housings on these engines are removable, and if they are, how hard would it be to graft a Yanmar engine to a Mitsubishi clutch housing. If I could do that, I think that would be a good solution.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back