Toro 223D with Mitsubishi L3E engine

Hdonly

I have a Toro 223D Groundsmaster mower with a three cylinder Mitsubishi L3E engine. I have had it for a few years. It has gotten harder and harder to start over the years. Long cranking time now with excessive black smoke the longer it cranks. If it does start (rarely nowadays) the smoke will clear up after a while and it will run good. I re-torqued the head and set the valve clearance. I also put new fuel injector nozzles in. Seemed to help a little, but not much. I ordered a diesel compression gauge set to check compression 9not here yet). It runs so good if it does start that I feel like the compression is good. I am beginning to suspect the injector pump itself. About 2600hours on the clock. Any thoughts?

I've seen those engines go 5,000 hours without much additional work other than routine maintenance.
Which includes the head bolt and valve adjustment.

Have you verified your glow plugs are working correctly?

Search glow plugs for Mitsubishi L3E

I'm not sure which forum I posted that information on.

I posted a few different alternatives. I believe the Toro glow plugs I received were Champion CH10. But verify that.

Whatever glow plugs you get, call tech support and verify the glow plugs are self regulating / limiting.

Without removing the glow plugs, you can do a quick continuity test, with the glow plugs disconnected.
With one test lead on the nut and the other to ground.

You should have something like .04 ohms max. If you have a buzzer it'll be going off.

The proper way to test the glow plugs is to remove them and visually test them as described in the service manual.

I believe these are 20 second glow plugs. You hold the switch for up to 20 seconds.

Currently the glow plug controller on my 223D isn't working. It's located towards the front of the Injection Pump on the right side. I have power to the controller, but not to the glow plugs.

Is your lift pump working?

Have you changed the filter on the Bottom of the lift pump?

Not properly servicing the fuel filters will kill the lift pump and / or the injection pump.

Have you serviced the fuel filter? Or verified it's flowing freely?

Remove the line at the injection pump, turn the key to run and you should be getting fuel.

If not, do that. I use Baldwin filters there
And everywhere else, when I can find them.

I apologize for not posting more links.

Are you familiar with the Toro parts and manuals page?

Your model and serial numbers should be on a tag, left side frame.

The tag on the deck / hanger frame is for the deck

Last edited:
I have a Toro 223D Groundsmaster mower with a three cylinder Mitsubishi L3E engine. I have had it for a few years. It has gotten harder and harder to start over the years. Long cranking time now with excessive black smoke the longer it cranks. If it does start (rarely nowadays) the smoke will clear up after a while and it will run good. I re-torqued the head and set the valve clearance. I also put new fuel injector nozzles in. Seemed to help a little, but not much. I ordered a diesel compression gauge set to check compression 9not here yet). It runs so good if it does start that I feel like the compression is good. I am beginning to suspect the injector pump itself. About 2600hours on the clock. Any thoughts?
There's a good used Toro parts place in Florida. The guy is very knowledgeable about these older machines.

I posted info on the Facebook Toro Groundsmaster pages.

Be sure to service the rear axle pivot bushings. They're not very thick brass bushings.

If they where through, it's much more of a pain to fix than just changing the bushings. It's part of scheduled maintenance. I forget the recommended hours.

Also check your lift arms. I had to rebuild mine. They had a lot of slop and wouldn't hardly raise the deck anymore.

We got our 1996 Toro 223D about year 2000.

We just bought another 1998 - got screwed on Facebook marketplace. Our own fault for being trusting.
They said it was ready to work.
Not even close.

I still have to adjust the brakes check the go pedal. I think they overtightened the brakes to eliminate creep - instead of adjusting the go pedal.
check the deck gearbox, adjust the deck, rear axle pivot and lift arm bushings,

Check air filter,check / pack rear wheel bearings - they're missing the dust covers - no grease visible.

The transaxle went out on our 1996. Still runs good.

Have yet to find a replacement transaxle or 223D for parts.

It's hard to trust the transaxle on parts machines. You have to hold down the 2 little buttons on hydrostat with specialty tools or a block or heavy rare earth magnets, to move the machine.

A lot of people just drag them around if they have a bad engine and damage the transaxle.

Mitsi needs glow plug assistance to start even in summer?
My 1996 Gravely with 3cyl Yanmar does not have them and starts everytime in less than one revolution of the crankshaft.
Unless I run it out of fuel.

I have checked glow plugs in the past and they were working. I have a new set coming anyway. I will be pulling them anyway to do a compression test. I have changed the air filter and water separator filter. I have a lift pump filter but haven't changed it yet. Trying to get it back to my garage to work on it.

Yes, I am getting fuel. I had it running just the other day, It is just go/no go on starting. Takes a ridiculous amount of grinding and lots of black smoke unless I get the throttle set just right. If I get the throttle just right, sometimes it will start fairly quickly. Will not restart after it's hot.

I would expect a low compression engine to puff white smoke, unburned fuel. Black says it's getting fuel, and sorta burning but not cleanly.

Not starting hot indicates that glow plugs won't help. Setting valve clearance and checking injection timing don't cost anything and can't hurt.

There's a good used Toro parts place in Florida. The guy is very knowledgeable about these older machines.

I posted info on the Facebook Toro Groundsmaster pages.

Be sure to service the rear axle pivot bushings. They're not very thick brass bushings.

If they where through, it's much more of a pain to fix than just changing the bushings. It's part of scheduled maintenance. I forget the recommended hours.

Also check your lift arms. I had to rebuild mine. They had a lot of slop and wouldn't hardly raise the deck anymore.

We got our 1996 Toro 223D about year 2000.

We just bought another 1998 - got screwed on Facebook marketplace. Our own fault for being trusting.
They said it was ready to work.
Not even close.

I still have to adjust the brakes check the go pedal. I think they overtightened the brakes to eliminate creep - instead of adjusting the go pedal.
check the deck gearbox, adjust the deck, rear axle pivot and lift arm bushings,

Check air filter,check / pack rear wheel bearings - they're missing the dust covers - no grease visible.

The transaxle went out on our 1996. Still runs good.

Have yet to find a replacement transaxle or 223D for parts.

It's hard to trust the transaxle on parts machines. You have to hold down the 2 little buttons on hydrostat with specialty tools or a block or heavy rare earth magnets, to move the machine.

A lot of people just drag them around if they have a bad engine and damage the transaxle.
Where in Florida is this place you spoke of? I just replaced injector nozzles and it made no difference. Just finally got my compression tester in and new glow plugs. That will be my next move to check compression and change glow plugs.

Check your air filter, change the lift pump filter. Maybe the fuel filter, if you haven't yet.

Valves need to be checked - .010 and head bolts retorqued. - that's part of the valve adjustment program.
Start at top dead center.

There is no timing mark that I have ever seen.

There's a cross bar cast into the engine pulley. When that was lined up with the mark on the right side of the timing cover, that was TDC on mine.

Do the stuff you know needs doing and go from there.

I wouldn't mess with the glow plugs or injectors before doing the other stuff.

My glow plugs have lasted for decades

Where in Florida is this place you spoke of? I just replaced injector nozzles and it made no difference. Just finally got my compression tester in and new glow plugs. That will be my next move to check compression and change glow plugs.
There's a guy from northeast Indiana that advertises Toro parts on Craigslist.

Toro Parts places
CL Equipment Florida 813-238-0956

CO Equipment, Texas 817-337-5800

Adam's Small Engine 419-685-2264

Bell Equipment 405-743-4315

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back