560 D no start

Doc 2

I'm working on a late 560 with d282. It sat in a barn for about 42 years without running or being moved. When we pulled it to the farm I had in in fifth gear and slowly let the clutch out and engine turned free and built oil pressure. Stop cable was out, didn't want to try start at this time. Tach shows 2500 hours and was working when pulling tractor. Front tire wear seems consistent with 2500 hours.

I have since cleaned fuel lines, return line, and new filters and fuel. Glow plugs are marginal, more on that later. I have good fuel flow to the pump. If a crack an injector line at the injector or the pump end, I get no fuel coming out. I would think that about 3500 psi would squirt a little bit even when cranking. What more can I do to check the pump and/or get it to pump short of sending it in?

I checked the glow plugs one at a time watching the meter and it went about a third of the way, goes all the way to the right with all hooked up. Took 3 of them out and hooked to a battery. None of them glowed red but did smoke and get warm after 10 seconds. I have a new set coming. Problem is 3 don"t want to come out. Very tight. I twisted the nut off of one of the 3 tight ones. Any suggestions short of pulling the injector? I think I will try a 3/8 fine nut brazed on. I am open to all ideas. Thanks. Brian

you have to remove the pump and get it looked at. very common problem . diesel tech here is the guy. as for them injectors they will need to come out then work on getting them glow plugs out. on a battery check each one should get red hot in about 3 seconds. its basically hook them up then release the power. i would have took the time to remove the injectors to get oil in the cylinders such as mystery oil for lube first before cranking it over. maybe can run a drill bit down the centre of them glow plugs and get them peeled out once injectors are out. i have a 560 that sat for 40 years and was lucky to get them all out to lube cylinders. and the pump was ok. i even burnt the full tank of fuel it had once i changed the filters. that old fuel had its own smell.

I'm working on a late 560 with d282. It sat in a barn for about 42 years without running or being moved. When we pulled it to the farm I had in in fifth gear and slowly let the clutch out and engine turned free and built oil pressure. Stop cable was out, didn't want to try start at this time. Tach shows 2500 hours and was working when pulling tractor. Front tire wear seems consistent with 2500 hours.

I have since cleaned fuel lines, return line, and new filters and fuel. Glow plugs are marginal, more on that later. I have good fuel flow to the pump. If a crack an injector line at the injector or the pump end, I get no fuel coming out. I would think that about 3500 psi would squirt a little bit even when cranking. What more can I do to check the pump and/or get it to pump short of sending it in?

I checked the glow plugs one at a time watching the meter and it went about a third of the way, goes all the way to the right with all hooked up. Took 3 of them out and hooked to a battery. None of them glowed red but did smoke and get warm after 10 seconds. I have a new set coming. Problem is 3 don"t want to come out. Very tight. I twisted the nut off of one of the 3 tight ones. Any suggestions short of pulling the injector? I think I will try a 3/8 fine nut brazed on. I am open to all ideas. Thanks. Brian
I short in the pump there are two small plungers that are pushed to pump to fuel. Once they are pushed in the only thing that moves them back to the position for them to stroke again is the pressure of the fuel from the internal transfer pump. So if they are sticking from fuel goo or rust from water setting in the pump the only thing that can get them free and working again is disassembly and cleaning.

Setting unused awhile it's common to have stuck internal injection pump parts, I have a 656 pump on the test stand now that came in for the same trouble. On glow plug equipped engines, I like to remove ALL glow plugs as makes cranking engine/bleeding fuel system MUCH easier. Crank engine with all plugs out and lines loose at the injectors until you see fuel at all injectors from a working pump. Tighten all line nuts and crank again until you see air/fuel mist out all glow plug holes, then you KNOW system is ready to start as fuel is getting into chambers. Install the plugs and heat ONE minute with the ORIGINAL plugs and engine should start. I use the faster heating plugs in my 560 and it will start after fifteen seconds of heating.

Setting unused awhile it's common to have stuck internal injection pump parts, I have a 656 pump on the test stand now that came in for the same trouble. On glow plug equipped engines, I like to remove ALL glow plugs as makes cranking engine/bleeding fuel system MUCH easier. Crank engine with all plugs out and lines loose at the injectors until you see fuel at all injectors from a working pump. Tighten all line nuts and crank again until you see air/fuel mist out all glow plug holes, then you KNOW system is ready to start as fuel is getting into chambers. Install the plugs and heat ONE minute with the ORIGINAL plugs and engine should start. I use the faster heating plugs in my 560 and it will start after fifteen seconds of heating.
I will try that. If I have to pull the pump and send it to you I will get hold of you for contact info. Thanks. Brian

That would have been my first choice. After sitting for 42 years full of bird and mouse poop this was a hazmat site on wheels. I wanted to see if the engine was free and would build oil pressure. Very limited time, maybe 5-7 seconds turning in 5th gear turning slow. got a good bath before doing anything.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back