Mf135 clutch and pto problems

Ctractor

New User
New here, great site.

Got a 1972 MF135 with diesel engine. Used the pto to do some topping for the first time in some years and realised the pto was always on in "ground" mode and won t switch into neutral or "engine", i.e., when running along in gear the pto turns and works the implement, but I can t turn it off by moving the lever to the middle position, nor get it to turn when stationary by moving the lever all the way back to "engine". It used to work because I ran a log splitter off it while stationary some time ago.

Following various threads on here I looked into the clutch compartment through the access hole under the bell housing and checked the clearance on the three 1/2" bolts - they are all the same at c.80 thou. But at least four of the springs are broken. The clutch pedal free play is correct. There is occasionally some grinding when going into gear. The clutch doesn t slip.

Questions:

1. Could the pto problem be caused by the broken springs?

2. Is it possible to replace the springs through the access hole, or will I have to split the tractor and replace the clutch?

3. If the pto problem is unlikely to be caused by the broken springs where else should I be looking?

Thank you.

Question 1. Probably not related.
Question 2. Replacing the springs will likely require splitting the tractor.
Question 3. Remove the round cover by your left heel as you sit on the tractor. The PTO lever is not moving the sliding collar that connects the PTO shaft to the hydraulic pump shaft.

Very succinct response. Thank you.

When I take that cover off, will there be oil to drain off? Will it be obvious what I do to reengage the shaft?

1) best to drain off some transmission oil before taking off the left hand side cover.
2) it should be obvious how to move the PTO lever before placing the cover back in place. I can't find a good photo.
3) might want to replace the cover gasket.

Pics are of my MF 35....

PTO shifting lever must be in the proper location in the bottom gear.
Verify ..Is PTO shift lever loose on internal connection?...broken or missing pin that attaches shift lever to internal mechanism..??

cvphoto158343.jpg

cvphoto158344.jpg

(quoted from post at 21:52:24 07/11/23) Pics are of my MF 35....

Verify ..Is PTO shift lever loose on internal connection?...broken or missing pin that attaches shift lever to internal mechanism..??

Excellent, thank you. I changed the transmission fluid last year for the first time in my ownership (cream sludge) so may well have not engaged the lever properly when I put the cover back on. I will have a look.

(quoted from post at 23:27:10 07/11/23)
(quoted from post at 21:52:24 07/11/23) Pics are of my MF 35....

Excellent, thank you. I changed the transmission fluid last year for the first time in my ownership (cream sludge) so may well have not engaged the lever properly when I put the cover back on. I will have a look.

Exactly as suggested: the end of the lever wasn t in the groove in the moving gear. Drained about 15 litres off before removing the cover, probably could have drained less and still been ok.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back