Craig2

I am looking at a 73 IH 454 diesel. From the pictures it looks good and has good tires. I'm going to use it to make a roughly 5 acres of hay. I have never been around these smaller IH tractors so I don't know much about them. What are the good, bad, and the ugly on these tractors? Thanks in advance

They are a UK built Utility tractor with about 50 hp. Independent PTO, and 8 speeds with steps of 4 that are synchronized. Parts could be an issue, but that is the situation with any tractor of age. The 3 cyl diesel is reliable to my knowledge. Jim

Check Parking brake and foot brakes, could have a few minor hydraulic leaks. The engine is very reliable. Common problems sleeve O-rings leaking coolant into the crankcase but most of the engines that age have had the O-rings replaced, Bosch injection pump leaking Diesel fuel into the crankcase caused by worn seal on the injection pump drive shaft. This problem happened more frequently after the switch to ULSD Diesel fuel.
My brother puts some 2 cyl engine oil into the fuel tank when he adds fuel on his 454, others use a Diesel fuel conditioner.

I have one and it's my "no drama" tractor, it always does what I need and doesn't complain. Echoing the points above about brakes and parking brakes and fuel conditioner. Rear end and transmission are built for a bigger engine so they're super reliable. Seating position might not be comfortable for everyone. Make sure to get the correct muffler or the engine will do bad things to your hearing. Fuel tank is prone to rusting where it bolts to rear fenders (and that's a very expensive repair), though if it's been stored indoors most of the time this isn't a worry. I have to drive mine several miles on the road between two fields and it steers and rides like a 1970s Buick, which is rather enjoyable compared to my Fords.

One more point, change the hydraulic filter on a regular basis (I change it annually, if I don't the hydraulic pressure drops to where the steering gets tight and the hitch is really slow)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back