Hydraulic fluid for Ford 3000?

Sam in Pa.

New User
I've just acquired a Ford 3000 with front loader.
It's low on hydraulic fluid. What type should I use? Also, where's the proper "fill plug" located?
Thanks in advance. Don't have a manual yet. Sam

Generally you will see folks here recommend a generic UTF oil that meets Ford 134D specs.
Will say Ford 134 right on the label.
One oil to keep stocked for the tranny, rear end, loader and power steering if you have it.
Which fill plug are you looking for?
For the tranny it will be on the tranny cover, rear end will be on the right side of the housing behind your butt.
Dunno about your loader - they made gobs of different loaders that will fit on a 3000.
Is the loader run off the tractor's onboard pump or is it run off a front mounted pump on the front of the tractor?

As Ultradog said, there's a few places to put fluid in that model tractor. Where are you checking to see that it's low on hydraulic fluid? The tractor's main hydraulics sump for the 3 point lift is also the rear axle/differential housing. The fill plug should be on top of the rear axle center housing under your right butt cheek when you're sitting on the tractor. The level check is a hole with a pipe plug in it on the right side of the same center housing, just toward the rear of the tractor from your right heel when you're sitting on the tractor. The pipe plug usually has a square head, but people might have replaced them over the years with hex head bolts or pipe plugs with a recessed hex socket for an allen wrench.

If your loader has its own separate hydraulic pump and reservoir, we would need to know what make & model of loader it's got, or at least see so some pictures so we could make some educated guesses.

Thanks for the input guys. The front loader runs off the tractor oil system. It's a Ford loader as best I can determine. (no auxillary pump). The front loader will only raise about 2 feet before struggling to go up. Back three point works fine. I haven't fallen in love with that lever on the right hand side that often kicks out when trying to use loader. Does it detect low fluid when it does that? Sam

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back