hydraulic fill location IH 160 utility tractor???

dwragon

Hi all, hoping someone can tell me the location of the hydraulic fill/ dipstick location on an IH 460 Utility tractor (had a loader on it at one time). I have looked all over the transmission and rear end, and the only possible fill point is a 1 and 1/4 (3/4 inch square inset) pipe plug. Is there a dipstick and filler location (per a book for a pic) on this unit?

This post was edited by dwragon on 04/08/2022 at 04:52 pm.

Are you sure this is a 160? The only thing that comes
up is a Puma 160 which is a 160 horsepower ag tractor.
That plug dimension sounds like a 460. The trans level
check plug would be on the side in the clutch area on
one of those.

you are right, it is a 460. The ad from which I bought it called it a 160, it stuck in my brain, hopefully a moderator will correct the heading.

I got the plug open, no dip stick. Same oil for the rear end as the hydraulics per another forum. my problem may be as stated in this copy.

Dont over do it with how much weight you lift with the 3-point as there is an o-ring that will blow almost every time if carry too much weight with it. Its pretty easy to replace on our row crop 460 but I'm not sure where it would be located on the utilities. We kept blowing ours out carrying too big of round bales from the pit to the feeder. Our 460 would blow the o-rings in the hydraulic valve block below the seat when u lifted too much weight with it

I had just carried a round bale with the three point, then heard a squalling noise, thought it was low on fluid. Wondering where the o-ring would be on a 460 utility that has had the loader removed.

This post was edited by dwragon on 04/08/2022 at 05:38 pm.

I am more familiar the Farmall row crop models. After a
closer look the level check plug is under the left foot
plate by the clutch. You fill it to the level of that plug.
Sounds to me like a operators manual would be very
beneficial to you, see link. I also see they offer a
manual on just the 3 point, whether or not it covers the
problem you are having I could not say. I know a lot of
answer men on this forum look at it first thing in the
morning. Maybe, after tomorrow morning someone will
chime in that knows more about your problem.
YT IH 460 manuals

Well, I had to use it, squall or not, this tractor is still very new to me, I think the squall is normal for it, only when loaded with the bale in full tilt (single spike bale, bale rolled offcenter under and increased the load on the spike, have to weld another spike onto it.)

It may be trying to lift slightly beyond the upper limit of motion. In that case it may continue to hold high pressure and you would be hearing the relief valve. Does the noise go away if you lower it slightly? Readjust the upper stop on the control lever to not lift quite so high.

I dont remember if it does that, but I will check the next time I use it, I havent had to use it as I did a 70/30 hay cut swap on my place and the guy who baled it (100 bales) moved 4 bales to my sheep pens (I sold him 26 bales at $50 each :) ).

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back