Hydraulic cylinder

Jhn

The cylinder is in a Case IH grain drill and is leaking. I was able to get one pin out but the other one is rusted tight and won't budge. The main question is I am also unable to figure out how to take the cylinder apart. It is swung out so I should be able to work on it on machine but don't understand how it comes apart.

Attachments

• 20240425_191545.jpg
    20240425_191545.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
  • 20240425_191548.jpg
    20240425_191548.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
Quite often the end cap (with the three threaded holes) is pushed inward (down rod) revealing a snap ring to remove. My best guess. Jim

Does it have an indention on the side by the top of the cylinder? One type of cylinder I've dealt with had a wire there that serves as a snap ring. You pull that wire out and then the end cap comes loose. You can thread bolts in the 3 holes to get a grip on pulling it loose if stuck tite.

How to disassemble a hydraulic cylinder - With great difficulty :)

cylinder2.jpg

That's not a pipe wrench BTW, it has been modified into a pin spanner for these screw cap style cylinders. Fun hiding behind the loader bucket pumping the port-a-power waiting for a big bang. Fortunately it did eventually unscrew properly but more fun was waiting inside as it seems whoever designed these particular cylinders went against convention and instead of using a $0.10 O ring seal on the piston to rod joint they thought a press fit was a great idea so it required a hydraulic puller to get it off and then heating to get it back on after replacing the rod seals.

Your cylinder does look like it may be the lock wire style which shouldn't be too bad to get apart. Working on the machine is generally easiest since the heavy machine provides the best anchor against the high torque usually required to crack the rod nut free.

The cylinder is in a Case IH grain drill and is leaking. I was able to get one pin out but the other one is rusted tight and won't budge. The main question is I am also unable to figure out how to take the cylinder apart. It is swung out so I should be able to work on it on machine but don't understand how it comes apart.
It might help to know the model so one could take a look at the parts diagram for it. It may have a snap ring to remove that is not visible. Have you looked at the parts drawing?

I've taken some apart that have a ring holding them in, is there a hole in the cylinder outside case that you can see on the outside diameter next to the end? If so you need to put bolts in the holes in the end and turn the inside plate counter-clockwise to back the wire retainer out of it's pocket, when you reassemble it feed the wire in and turn it the opposite direction to relock the end plate in. Hope that makes sense to you.

Well if you take the fitting that’s 2 inches from the end out you might be able to peak in there and verify if it has threads or a snap ring it’s pretty close to the end and the head is recessed most screw on heads will not be recessed in the barrel like that they will have a flange for someone with the incorrect tool to grab hold with. I have seen both however I’m betting this is a drive the head in and pop the steel ring out since it appears in the picture there’s already a retainer washer taken off that I thought was a second snap ring at first but if it arrived here that’s what I’d do first is take a peek inside

You can guess he may have solved his problem, or isn't in a hurry, as he hasn't made any reply to suggestions here in the week since he posted first posted this.

Yeah for once I did look and I saw it was old enough to have a date instead of a day just barely but I figured the take a peek might help someone later if this gets found. Especially if one can weasel a bore scope in there they can see a lot. I’ve tossed cheap and some not so cheap cylinders in the iron dumpster because of what I’ve found just looking inside quick

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back