Drum retaining screws

Caryc

Got four of these new screws to use when I do my new brake shoes but, it looks like I'll have to buy a Hasmet suit when I go to install them.

uCUS3rm.jpg

(quoted from post at 12:16:36 09/01/23) Got four of these new screws to use when I do my new brake shoes but, it looks like I'll have to buy a Hasmet suit when I go to install them.

uCUS3rm.jpg
f those 8 wheel bolts and nuts won't keep that drum on there, I'm pretty sure that those little screws won't.

I used to think like JMOR said, that those screws aren't needed to hold the drum on, but someone on here pointed out awhile back that they help locate the drum properly so the shoes have complete contact.
Caryc, if you transport your tractor out of California you won't need the hazmat suit. :)

(quoted from post at 09:50:10 09/01/23)
(quoted from post at 12:16:36 09/01/23) Got four of these new screws to use when I do my new brake shoes but, it looks like I'll have to buy a Hasmet suit when I go to install them.

uCUS3rm.jpg
f those 8 wheel bolts and nuts won't keep that drum on there, I'm pretty sure that those little screws won't.

Maybe they keep the drum from falling on your foot after you remove the wheel. Those little screws aren't really that little.

OiCup7G.jpg

(quoted from post at 10:26:34 09/01/23)
''someone on here pointed out awhile back that they help locate the drum properly so the shoes have complete contact''

That's just SILLY, LOL!

Yeah, the falling on your foot thing sounds more reasonable to me.

(quoted from post at 13:47:30 09/01/23)
(quoted from post at 10:26:34 09/01/23)
''someone on here pointed out awhile back that they help locate the drum properly so the shoes have complete contact''

That's just SILLY, LOL!

Yeah, the falling on your foot thing sounds more reasonable to me.
aybe on the assy line, but after that they only serve to fill the tapped holes! You struggle to get the drum over those 8 bolts.

(quoted from post at 23:26:34 09/01/23)

That's just SILLY, LOL!

Well I have performed thousands of brake jobs, one thing in my arsenal is provisions to seat the drums/rotors mostly rotors while I nail on the other hardware. While they are not needed they sure help things assemble smoothly without a hitch : )

(quoted from post at 06:30:26 09/02/23)
(quoted from post at 23:26:34 09/01/23)

That's just SILLY, LOL!

Well I have performed thousands of brake jobs, one thing in my arsenal is provisions to seat the drums/rotors mostly rotors while I nail on the other hardware. While they are not needed they sure help things assemble smoothly without a hitch : )

Yes, I've never taken a brake drum off either tractor but I imagine just putting the drum on over the lugs would still leave it with some play side to side. Those big countersunk heads would put it on exactly in place every time.

I fought one of them screws for a few hours and broke my impact driver.
Hammer , chisel, and new impact driver got it out.
Made sure I put antiseize on the new one.

(quoted from post at 16:41:28 09/03/23) I fought one of them screws for a few hours and broke my impact driver.

Well, I've got a 1/4" Milwaukee and a 1/2" Milwaukee and a half inch electric one. I got hopes. :wink:

(quoted from post at 09:16:36 09/01/23) Hasmet suit when I go to install them.

Hah
I suppose it may be possible that the bad Isotope of Chrome may be present but unless you are Eran Brochovitch I wouldn't worry too much about it. :p

(quoted from post at 13:26:34 09/01/23)

That's just SILLY, LOL!
xactly, if so critical, why doesn't all automobile makers use them. Especially in 150+ mph sports cars?? :roll:

The similar vintage big Ford trucks use the same method for the rear drums. A blue torch works like a charm and is much easier than welding something on the head of those screws.

Just don't count on reproducing after you do the job.

Colin, MN

(quoted from post at 18:52:05 09/04/23) The similar vintage big Ford trucks use the same method for the rear drums. A blue torch works like a charm and is much easier than welding something on the head of those screws.

Just don't count on reproducing after you do the job.

Colin, MN

A blue torch?

(quoted from post at 21:43:59 09/04/23) After I removed the Drum Screws I installed ...

Flat Head SAE Socket Cap screws...SS

Where did you get those screws?

(quoted from post at 19:41:28 09/03/23) I fought one of them screws for a few hours and broke my impact driver.
eat the head of the screws red hot with a torch, let them cool, take them out with a screw driver. Done many of them, never failed.

(quoted from post at 12:48:03 09/05/23)
(quoted from post at 19:41:28 09/03/23) I fought one of them screws for a few hours and broke my impact driver.
eat the head of the screws red hot with a torch, let them cool, take them out with a screw driver. Done many of them, never failed.

The only thing I have is a hand held torch with MAP gas. Think that will help any?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back