Does This Sound Familiar?

Tall T

When I first back the Jubilee out of its shed, the very first movement causes a very audible "clank" sound from the left rear as though that axle was stuck somehow with sitting and then breaks free. After that it barely makes the sound a couple of times backing up, then no more. It seems to be connected to sitting for a couple of days. (?)
It's not a deep pitched clunk like I'd expect from deep within the heavy housing but more like it could be brake rod or stuck shoes letting go or something. That side is leaking lube badly and the brakes on that side have never really worked as a result of being wet. I have all the new parts, but not a new hub.

If it was a hub, I'd expect it to keep on doing it with every forward and backward movement, but it doesn't.

I noticed my PTO shaft area isn't wet with oil and wonder if being seriously low on gear lube could have something to do with the sound.

Any thoughts/
Thanks
T

I would suspect brake pads. They could be sticking in the up position - how is the level of the brake pedal in relation to the other one before you back up? After the clunk does the pedal come up some?

To check your hubs, stand next to your rear wheel and grab the top of the tire. Rock in towards the tractor body and out away from it. Hear any clunks? If so, the hub is loose. Could just be the main center hub nut is loose (it supposed to be torqued to 450 ft/lbs) but more likely the hub is shot and needs to be replaced.

I would suspect brake pads. They could be sticking in the up position - how is the level of the brake pedal in relation to the other one before you back up? After the clunk does the pedal come up some?

To check your hubs, stand next to your rear wheel and grab the top of the tire. Rock in towards the tractor body and out away from it. Hear any clunks? If so, the hub is loose. Could just be the main center hub nut is loose (it supposed to be torqued to 450 ft/lbs) but more likely the hub is shot and needs to be replaced.
Hi Dan,
It's been a while since I did the shoes on the right side and replaced the hub, and I can't remember the shoe configuration.
But now that you mention it, I think that the shoes were top and bottom, so your diagnosis sounds good.
I think I tried depressing the left pedal before backing up but I'll try that again . . . after it stops raining and I put another kit in my carb.
Sounds like metal on metal rather than oily shoe lining against drum though.
I keep thinking the sound is emanating from the brake control rod.

Thanks,
T

I have had to squirt some oil on the bushing where the brake shaft goes into the rear case they are known to bind up a little. Normal my noise is a drone type noise coming from a bell (brake drum)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back