Breakaway switch questions

Some how while moving my trailer with the tractor today, I pulled the pin out of the breakaway module. So first question- do I simply find the hole it came out of and plug it back in? And i must admit I have totally ignored that whole function, as I rarely tow more than 5K including the trailer. After doing a bit of research, I realize there must be a small battery in the box that must be shot and replaced. What are the odds that everything inside is corroded to heck and I have a real problem? I store my trailers off in the field and will have to go back later to open the box and see what is what.
Thanks for any info you can provide.

Some how while moving my trailer with the tractor today, I pulled the pin out of the breakaway module. So first question- do I simply find the hole it came out of and plug it back in? And i must admit I have totally ignored that whole function, as I rarely tow more than 5K including the trailer. After doing a bit of research, I realize there must be a small battery in the box that must be shot and replaced. What are the odds that everything inside is corroded to heck and I have a real problem? I store my trailers off in the field and will have to go back later to open the box and see what is what.
You should be able to put the pin back in and go. If you get the pin fully in and the brakes are locked, which would require the breakaway battery to be hooked up and charged, you will need to replace it.

The break-away battery must be dead other-wise the trailer brakes would have locked-up until you put the pin back in. Legally if the trailer has two axles then you need brakes with a good battery.
I have the emergency brakes hooked to the winch battery, then I don't need that small battery.

If the battery wasn't dead before, it's dead now.

Yes, ideally, the brakes would lock up when the pin is pulled, but trailer brakes are often neglected and out of adjustment, have inadequate wiring from the factory, or just plain don't work that well. Moving around with the tractor you probably wouldn't notice.

The break-away battery must be dead other-wise the trailer brakes would have locked-up until you put the pin back in. Legally if the trailer has two axles then you need brakes with a good battery.
I have the emergency brakes hooked to the winch battery, then I don't need that small battery.
Trailer brake laws vary state to state. In Ohio they go by empty trailer weight. Anything over 2,000 lbs empty must have brakes, no mention of axle count.

Until you have checked it out and determined that it is working properly you have to assume that the battery is dead and wiring bad.

If everything is as it should be, these things do work. My pull cable was hanging down too low and I ran over a dead possum laying in the center of the road. It jerked the pin out, locked the brakes and flat spotted 4 brand new tires.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back