8n ignition switch bracket?

K5_489

'52 8N, ignition switch literally fell apart. There's some kind of bracket that it's installed in, and while the switch looks ancient, it doesn't look like any of the replacement switches I've seen for these tractors. Guessing someone put an automotive style universal in it some time ago, but the bracket it's in also appears to be spot welded to the dashboard, and _looks_ like it's a factory piece. The switch appears to have a pair of mounting ears on it that are then screwed down to this bracket. If someone added this, they went through an awful lot of trouble to get an oddball ignition switch in there....

I know virtually any on/off switch would work here, and it doesn't need to be anything special (I put in an Autozone universal, zip tied in place, just to get the tractor moved again) but I'm curious if that's how all of these tractors are? Seems like installing the common switch sold for these tractors through this bracket would eventually cause the dash to get bent up a bit under the compression, or sit down in the hole deep enough that I wouldn't be able to get a key in it...

Tried to get a picture, but with the loader frame in the way, and it being dark, this was the best I could do, looking in from the gauge hole where the ammeter used to be.

Attachments

• 1000000184.jpg
    1000000184.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 46
'52 8N, ignition switch literally fell apart. There's some kind of bracket that it's installed in, and while the switch looks ancient, it doesn't look like any of the replacement switches I've seen for these tractors. Guessing someone put an automotive style universal in it some time ago, but the bracket it's in also appears to be spot welded to the dashboard, and _looks_ like it's a factory piece. The switch appears to have a pair of mounting ears on it that are then screwed down to this bracket. If someone added this, they went through an awful lot of trouble to get an oddball ignition switch in there....

I know virtually any on/off switch would work here, and it doesn't need to be anything special (I put in an Autozone universal, zip tied in place, just to get the tractor moved again) but I'm curious if that's how all of these tractors are? Seems like installing the common switch sold for these tractors through this bracket would eventually cause the dash to get bent up a bit under the compression, or sit down in the hole deep enough that I wouldn't be able to get a key in it...

Tried to get a picture, but with the loader frame in the way, and it being dark, this was the best I could do, looking in from the gauge hole where the ammeter used to be.
The ignition switch is below the dash panel in a more protected position. Look a bit lower, you should see the hole where it normally is installed. Someone did a "customization" on that one. My '51 had a hole in the dash lower than where the one in your picture is, not through the dash support but low enough to be in a single thickness of metal. Every time I went to back up I hit the key with my knee, sometimes killing the engine. I moved the switch to the original position where it is not in the way. Much happier with it there.

That's a rigged up switch in the wrong place.
Is the tractor wired correctly using the pushbutton starter switch next to the shifter or is it using the key switch to start it? Plenty of discussions about N switches on here, don't buy the cheapo ones. Hobo has some posts with the correct part #'s for quality switches from a good parts store.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back