Starting 8N problems

Have a '48 8N (front mount) thats been sitting for 5 years. Decided to get it running after my Yanmar developed problems. Original 6V system. Replaced rusted gas tank, rebuilt the carb, new battery and cables (heavy gauge), new points and condenser, and new ignition switch (the old one tested bad). Tried first start on just battery and very slow turnover. Tried jumpstart (12 volts), positive to ground connector and touched negative to starter solenoid bar and it wouldn't turn over at all? Just clicks. Would have thought it would spin like crazy with 12 volts? Maybe bad ground connection?

I'm curious, did you get sparking when you tried this? Was the 6 volt starter cable unhooked before doing this or did you just avoid hitting the start position on the start switch? That would have put the batteries in parallel. That could be exciting. Did you have a known good 12 volt battery since it turned over with 6 volts?
It's hard to get a good enough connection sometimes with just jumper cables. If the jumper cables aren't first rate that could be the problem.

Yeah, don't hit the start switch. With the 12v connected to ground and the bar it should spin the starter independent of the starter button. The 12 volts was from my parked truck and I started it up and moved it back to the house after so I can assume it was good.

Possibly getting closer. Pulled the plugs out and put a little oil in the cylinder. left plugs and turned it over a few times and was easier than with compression. Put plugs back in and it turned over a bit easier. I am leaving the battery on charge for a few hours to make sure I have it turning over as fast as possible next try. Would love to pull start it but I live by myself in the middle of nowhere.

Possibly getting closer. Pulled the plugs out and put a little oil in the cylinder. left plugs and turned it over a few times and was easier than with compression. Put plugs back in and it turned over a bit easier. I am leaving the battery on charge for a few hours to make sure I have it turning over as fast as possible next try. Would love to pull start it but I live by myself in the middle of nowhere.
I know the feeling. I have often wished for someone else to help me pull something. I don't usually ask my wife to do that sort of thing. My son isn't too far away but I have to go by his schedule. Maybe what you did will help enough to get it going.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back