800 versatile steering ??

herk

Hello I just bought this tractor , every thing worked fine , I hooked it up to the disk drove it a few feet and lost the steering, steering wheel locked up, tried to turn it was locked tight, it turned to the right before this happened my guess is the steering motor went out, has any one rebuilt one of these?? how expensive ?? I have one from a 145 smaller in size would this work ?? Thanks Bryan

(quoted from post at 19:55:43 10/25/21) Hello I just bought this tractor , every thing worked fine , I hooked it up to the disk drove it a few feet and lost the steering, steering wheel locked up, tried to turn it was locked tight, it turned to the right before this happened my guess is the steering motor went out, has any one rebuilt one of these?? how expensive ?? I have one from a 145 smaller in size would this work ?? Thanks Bryan

First of all, it's a steering VALVE, not a "motor".

The "800" was made for quite a few years and the hydraulic system changed over time, (IIRC) some had a 4 port steering valve and some had a 5 port.

It would be helpful to know the serial number/year of yours.

MANY years ago a friend's 5-port valve broke internally and caused a situation similar to what you describe.

On some of the production range a failed steering pump/ stripped pump drive could cause what you are seeing.

Determining exactly what hydraulic system you have, then checking for flow and pressure available to the steering valve with a "FloRater" or equivalent SHOULD determine if it is a steering valve or hydraulic supply issue.

This post was edited by wore out on 10/25/2021 at 09:30 pm.

I don't think there is any rebuilding hem other than replacing seals.

Possibly something has gotten inside it and is locking it up. Nothing to loose by opening it up and taking a look.

If something is broken it probably can't be fixed if internal, special parts are needed. If something shed metal the system will need to be flushed.

BUT! Be very careful, mark the locations of EVERY component! Take pictures, scribe and mark the position of the covers and everything in between. It will go back many different ways, but will only work when everything is correct. Get it wrong and it will do strange things!

As for using the other unit, it might work if it will plumb and mount. The steering might react different, probably slower.

Just be careful, they can shake the wheel violently, spin the wheel, or send the steering to full lock. Keep your hands clear, expect the unexpected until it has proven it can be trusted!

Hello it is a early 800 with the 4 port , I have 2 or 3 from a 145 in the shed , that I
bought from a closing salvage yard ,I bought all the 145 parts at the time, they are
smaller in size, as for why I called it a steering motor that is what they call it in the
operators manual, Thanks Bryan

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back