8n steering box

upstate

New User
I inherited a 48' 8n from the wifes granddad and a while back the steering shaft broke so I replaced it with a new one and the steering has not been the same since.
The first issue was the amount of play, I had a full 360 deg of wheel play and of course this is no bueno. I actually used it a few times like that but now something in the steering box has locked up and it will only turn one direction. the tractor is in rough shape cosmetically but runs like a champ. I'm hesitant to put a new steering box on simply because it doesn't seem too smart to put between $600 and $800 into something that might not even be worth that much when fixed.
There is a bit of sentimental value to it that makes me want to fix it though. Locally, I've found a 9n someone has listed on fb for 'parts or restoration' for $300 but I wasn't sure if the steering box would be compatible. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I inherited a 48' 8n from the wifes granddad and a while back the steering shaft broke so I replaced it with a new one and the steering has not been the same since.
The first issue was the amount of play, I had a full 360 deg of wheel play and of course this is no bueno. I actually used it a few times like that but now something in the steering box has locked up and it will only turn one direction. the tractor is in rough shape cosmetically but runs like a champ. I'm hesitant to put a new steering box on simply because it doesn't seem too smart to put between $600 and $800 into something that might not even be worth that much when fixed.
There is a bit of sentimental value to it that makes me want to fix it though. Locally, I've found a 9n someone has listed on fb for 'parts or restoration' for $300 but I wasn't sure if the steering box would be compatible. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
8N steering gear is 100% different/non-interchangeable as a complete unit or any parts with those on the previous 9N and 2N models.

If you post this on the “N” board or ask how to fix your current steering box you will probably get more help. I know within the last year or two one guy cleaned up a bunch of 8N spare parts he had. Whatever someone did not speak up to claim he sent to scrap.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back