420 AN steering

I have a 420 AN I installed a new hydraulic pump...Everything works but it won't steer a lick...
morning: just a couple quick thoughts;;by chance did you forget to put the hyd pump in/out gear selection in gear?
if so do you have a loader on the tractor and is it working?
when trying to steer does the wheel turn freely in both directions? or any resistance/attempts in one direction or the other?, Poor control of steering when it is trying to work ie: wanders from side to side when driving in a straight line or shudders shakes side to side and stops only when the tractor is stopped?
And there is a bypass valve on the steering system if there is a strain on the system creating a need for higher pressure to move the steering..is the tractor parked in such a way that a tire is hard against a solid object
and why was the hyd pump changed?
a little more info, before i dig out the book of russian translating services.:)

Everything works but the steering...Its sitting on the level...Hitch works, loader works...My wife turned the wheel for me yesterday while I watched Everything...It turns idk about 2 turns in each direction then you get resistance...I've bled every line on it...The tires will try to move slightly sometimes...Very slightly...Maybe a valve stuck open? I'm not sure

The pump was changed because the seal went out of the pump and dumped everything in the engine...So I changed the pump and all fluids

Everything works but the steering...Its sitting on the level...Hitch works, loader works...My wife turned the wheel for me yesterday while I watched Everything...It turns idk about 2 turns in each direction then you get resistance...I've bled every line on it...The tires will try to move slightly sometimes...Very slightly...Maybe a valve stuck open? I'm not sure

The pump was changed because the seal went out of the pump and dumped everything in the engine...So I changed the pump and all fluids
Well i did not dig out the book yet.. but from what you wrote, i am going to suggest you jack up the front end so both tires are free wheeling, try then to steer them and watch what happens.....be prepared to disconnect the drag links from the actuator as i am leaning towards one or both bushings in the steering swivels are binding from wear/grease loss.
try to turn them before greasing, see/feel what you have first and then grease and re-try.
with the drag links disconnected you should be able to turn then full travel with a small amount of force, but not needing a pry bar or gut wrenching force to do so.
with the drag links disconnected you should also be able to watch the steering actuator travel full turns, in case there is a problem there.
now looking elsewhere, but not to take apart just yet is the power steering unit itself, i have replaced the seals in them before as the number of turns and results can be as you have.
little things first and hope you have good results.

Well I got up under the front of the tractor while it was running and watched the shaft in the main steering box where it attaches to the tie rods and could see that shaft move one bit...That was of course with the wheels on the ground...I've come to a conclusion that it is either the piston in the steering box or the hydraulic valve or the steering wheel/pump its self...But ill try what you suggested...Thank you

I wrote could but I meant to say that steering box shaft doesn't turn a bit
morning: i got busy but you added some info, i suggested the front end of fthe ground as i have had spindles seize before, and to elimate all stuff connected, and seeing the steering shaft attempt to move helps, it moved in one direction only?
i have the book in front of me now and will read/take a photo of what it says as an attachment asap, and hope you can find it from there.
with the loader and 3pt working the pump relief valve must be closed[working] right and this just came to me...there is a key or splined input side of the steering unit, also the actual steering shaft from the operators wheel to the steering unit is secured by either a flat spot/locking bolt assembly. It could be possible one of these assembly points may be slipping when steering strain is applied?
i am thinking you can see the the steering unit input turn/attempt to turn in time with the turning of the steering wheel itself, in case there is slippage thru one of the shaft connections, and the shaft u-joints can be checked for wear the same time.
later.

Evening to me...I got some photos of the steering system hope you can view and read the info, if not i will find a better way. In reading the info i noticed it says to drop the 3pt hitch several times, and if steering is not responding remove and clean the diverter valve [ item # 4 ] as the first place to look, i mentioned this and with the 3pt working i was thinking the bypass was closed[ good] but i see now where/how they tapped off steering pressure to the tractors hyd system.
i had lost of steering before due lack of pressure from the bypass being open, but this diverter valve looks to be the best place right now. the other options mentioned, i have seen on other units from rust/lacking grease/frozen water around spindles, etc.
Also the photos of the servo unit i sent may be of use, not too complicated but touchy in its removal/installation at times, actually had to unscrew the unit from the output shaft and then ensure it was installed that the unit was central in its travel, when the mounting bolts lined up, i think it was start to assemble at the 3oclock? position and turn/screw the unit into place at 6oclock?
Anyway lets keep onto it and get er done.

Attachments

• DSC_0561.JPG
    DSC_0561.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0559.JPG
    DSC_0559.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0557.JPG
    DSC_0557.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0556.JPG
    DSC_0556.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0555.JPG
    DSC_0555.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 13

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back