1948 Super A question

Birss

New User
!948 Cultivision. Runs great but really cranks slow to get started. Would it crank faster with an 8Volt battery?

If its still 6 volt it won't crank super fast like 12 volt but if all connections, starter, etc are in good shape it should crank good enough to start the tractor.

!948 Cultivision. Runs great but really cranks slow to get started. Would it crank faster with an 8Volt battery?
Not recommended at all. the charging system might be able to be adjusted to charge it but it wrecks headlights and there are no 8 volt chargers. Put nice thick 1O gauge cables and make sure the starter is good, and it will crank. Tiny #4 cables used on cars won't do. Jim

Most battery cables available at the car parts stores are sized for 12volt systems, thus not big enough wire diameter for 6 volt. This adds resistance to the current flowing to the starter, making it run slower than normal. Upgrade your cables and ends. Make sure the ground lead anchors to the motor casting, and not some sheet metal that the current needs to travel thru multiple joints. Engines don't need to turn fast to start. Just need to have adequate current for the ignition system to fire. A struggling starter system starves available current for the ignition system.

that low a compression engine will start with 6 volt. if it isn’t maint , then won’t start with 12 . Follow the maintenance practices as suggested.

Most battery cables available at the car parts stores are sized for 12volt systems, thus not big enough wire diameter for 6 volt. This adds resistance to the current flowing to the starter, making it run slower than normal. Upgrade your cables and ends. Make sure the ground lead anchors to the motor casting, and not some sheet metal that the current needs to travel thru multiple joints. Engines don't need to turn fast to start. Just need to have adequate current for the ignition system to fire. A struggling starter system starves available current for the ignition system.
Thanks. Got the new starter, battery and cables installed. Big improvement- but not perfect yet. Seems I remember back in the past that tweaking the timing just a tad will speed up or slow down the cranking speed. Is that right? I've had this CultiVision for 55 years and have used it for everything from cutting hay to yarding logs. It has an IH 1000 loader and it is a real workhorse.

Thanks. Got the new starter, battery and cables installed. Big improvement- but not perfect yet. Seems I remember back in the past that tweaking the timing just a tad will speed up or slow down the cranking speed. Is that right? I've had this CultiVision for 55 years and have used it for everything from cutting hay to yarding logs. It has an IH 1000 loader and it is a real workhorse.
that is mostly problem . people time them by ear and that usually makes it advanced too much then the starter grunts trying to turn it over. when the points are set and the timing is set to spec them tiny engines start with one revolution. my old w9 starts with one flip with a 6 volt battery, and the engine is 3 times the size. dont tweak it... set it to tdc and forget about it . and dont need a light either.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back