Super M distributor

Mark Poss

I recently pulled the distributor off my super M to replace points and condenser because it was easier to do this in the vise instead of on the tractor. I’m not used to the splined shaft so I think I’m off by a tooth since it is harder starting. My question is should I pull the distributor out and turn one tooth clockwise or counter clockwise? I think the timing is too far advanced. Thanks for any help, Mark

I recently pulled the distributor off my super M to replace points and condenser because it was easier to do this in the vise instead of on the tractor. I’m not used to the splined shaft so I think I’m off by a tooth since it is harder starting. My question is should I pull the distributor out and turn one tooth clockwise or counter clockwise? I think the timing is too far advanced. Thanks for any help, Mar
Dunno what you have, IH corporate distributor or Delco aftermarket unit?

Neither has "splines".

If you are convinced timing is "too early" distributor shaft needs to go back a tooth opposite the direction it rotates.

I do that with my Cub 184 because between the small distance to the oil filter and the mower in the way its really tough to get to and see what I'm doing. Just retime the tractor. Since its a gear drive it can go back in any position if its timed correctly. If you don't have a timing light you can static time it and be close enough. Mine has the IH distributor so I'm assuming the delco works the same way. I'm also assuming you have a battery ignition, not a magneto.

I recently pulled the distributor off my super M to replace points and condenser because it was easier to do this in the vise instead of on the tractor. I’m not used to the splined shaft so I think I’m off by a tooth since it is harder starting. My question is should I pull the distributor out and turn one tooth clockwise or counter clockwise? I think the timing is too far advanced. Thanks for any help, Mark
You should verify the advance is working properly & then set the timing to spec rather than guess at it.

I remember splines on one I removed a couple years ago, wasn't expecting that. Stuck it back in once the points were installed and just rotated the dist, till it ran and sounded good. It had a loader on it and trying to get the two piece points in, wasn't working so removed to install the points. Have to replace a dist in a Super H soon, weights and pins badly worn, will see how that is driven.

I think he meant teeth, as i did, but just need to go one spline/tooth either way and get it running.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back