Super M transmission input shaft revisited

Mark Poss

I took off the coupling between the clutch and input shaft, removed the bolt on the end of the shaft slid the shaft back to remove it and I’m up against the clutch shaft not enough room to remove it. What am I missing? A couple of people said it could be removed without taking the clutch out. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mark

If you are only replacing the input shaft seal it can be done with the shaft in place. Simply unbolt the retainer then slide the retainer/seal assembly off over the shaft. Knock out the old seal from the retainer and replace it with the new one. Finally thoroughly clean the shaft and clutch splines, apply a light coat of oil then carefully slide the new seal and retainer assembly into place over the shaft.

I think we’re talking about different shafts

My error! - there are no splines on the clutch end (been while since I had mine apart.....!)

Rather the input shaft is driven by the clutch shaft coupling thru a keyed connection. And you need to remove the drive coupling and key from the input shaft in order to slide the seal assembly off.

I loosened the 6 bolts on the frame and wedged it out about a half inch and then it dropped out. I have the front supported with a jack. Thanks for the replies, Mark

I took off the coupling between the clutch and input shaft, removed the bolt on the end of the shaft slid the shaft back to remove it and I’m up against the clutch shaft not enough room to remove it. What am I missing? A couple of people said it could be removed without taking the clutch out. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mark
Remove the clutch and then u have some working space to do what ur gonna do.

Plus this is the time to inspect your clutch and pilot brg. Unless u have recently done that.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back