Woods finish mower question

Amt3509

New User
I’m looking at a RM59 and RM500 woods finish mower. Does anyone have experience with either? Is one better than the other? Just looking for recommendations.

Thanks

I’m looking at a RM59 and RM500 woods finish mower. Does anyone have experience with either? Is one better than the other? Just looking for recommendations.

Thanks
We have had a RM 59 for years. It's been a really good mower. It's not a bushog, so a good rule of thumb is don't cut anything with it that you wouldn't mow with a regular zero turn or riding lawnmower. It has regular lawnmower style blades on it and leaves it more finished looking to me than the the newer mowers with the short bushog style blades like on a RM 990. It has been ran on a Farmall 100 / 140, and a JD 420 for years with no problems. I have no experience with the other model you mentioned.

Thanks
I have a 5' King Kutter finish mower that has the RM59 style blade setup (center blade offset to the rear). I used it behind my 8n and didn't like the finish it left. Especially poor for wind rowing leaves. I prefer the offset to the front style like my Land Pride. Never had one with that style belt drive but, for me, the shorter the belt on a 3 blade mower, the better.
0702181332_Burst01.jpg

I have an RM306, the 6 foot version of the RM59, and it's been a great mower. I've cut much heavier stuff with it than I should, but haven't had any issues with it, just normal regular maintenance. Does a nice job too

I have a 6ft rear discharge King Cutter on my 8N . It does an excellent job and as rough as my lawn is, I would have thought that poor thing would have fell apart years ago. I would definitely but another one just like it if this one ever died.

Thanks
I have a woods 72 inch belly mower on my 1950 Farmall C, The Boss loves it. She mows her yard with it.
I have a rear mount woods on the back of my old Ford. 5 years ago the mower got put behind the Kubota.
I like the old woods mowers because they discharge the grass on one side, not in the back like newer models.
The second pic, 1955, is my dad using a JD A pulling a woods corn stalk chopper and a disk.
The Woods brothers made pull behind corn stalk choppers and made aftermarket mowers for other tractors.

Attachments

• 20220416_121015.jpg
    20220416_121015.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20220401_104402.jpg
    20220401_104402.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 20220321_154910.jpg
    20220321_154910.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
i have a Woods L306 on a Farmall B, it works OK but I HATE the side discharge. I also have a 7 foot Land pride rear discharge three point finish mower that's now on my Farmall 504 diesel that works better than the Woods does.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back