Need advice on removing mower blades

Winch

Got an old Woods RM59 that I can't get 2 of the 3 blades off (so far). Middle one came off with impact so I know they are left handed bolts. I've been soaking in PB Blaster for a couple of days now. Air compressor impact set at 110 lbs is not breaking them loose. My question is if I try the torch method where should I hit it with the flame? On the bolt head or on the spindle? Seems like if on the bolt head it will expand the bolt inside the spindle which would make it worse?? I'm leery of heating the spindle as well.

Got an old Woods RM59 that I can't get 2 of the 3 blades off (so far). Middle one came off with impact so I know they are left handed bolts. I've been soaking in PB Blaster for a couple of days now. Air compressor impact set at 110 lbs is not breaking them loose. My question is if I try the torch method where should I hit it with the flame? On the bolt head or on the spindle? Seems like if on the bolt head it will expand the bolt inside the spindle which would make it worse?? I'm leery of heating the spindle as well.

I'd heat the bolt head and then cool it quickly with water.

A windex or similar bottle works well to spray it with.

I've used this method many times, may have to repeat the process a time or two.

What brand or model of impact wrench are you using? Also most home shop compressors use small ID hoses that restrict the flow of air. Do you know anybody that has a newer battery operated impact you could borrow? It would likely spin them right off.

I have a Woods RM306 finish mower. Every time I try to take the blades off, there is always one bolt that won't come off with the impact wrench. I chain the blade to the side of the deck to keep it from turning and get on the bolt head with a 3/4 drive socket and breaker bar with a piece of pipe. It hasn't failed yet and I haven't twisted off any bolts.

My air impact is a Kobalt. I have a pretty good size 2 stage compressor, 80 gal tank, 3/4 inch black pipe to 3/8 hose reel. I haven't tried the long breaker bar yet but may try in a few days. No hurry on this since I won't need the mower until spring.

If you have a two stage compressor crank it up to 150psi! All shops I worked in ran 150-175, you can’t raise the pressure in a truck tire very fast from a 100psi to the required 120psi running a system pressure of 125.

I'll give that a try. I was a little afraid the wrench wouldn't handle it since it recommends 90 psi.

150 PSI didn't break them but a long pry bar did. I have a set of 3/4 sockets and I put a 3 ft length of 1 inch pipe on the end of the breaker and they popped loose. Now I'm confused that the 3 spindles all look different. Maybe one or more have been replaced with a different style. Here is pics of them left to right. The left one has a rubbery washer covering and it had a big washer between spindle and blade. The middle one has a recessed spindle and a small washer. The right has a large covering (that doesn't want to come off) on the end of the spindle and no washer. And all 3 bolts are different lengths??

Attachments

• Woods RM59 left spindle and blade.jpg
    Woods RM59 left spindle and blade.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 34
  • Woods RM59 middle spindle and blade.jpg
    Woods RM59 middle spindle and blade.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 38
  • Woods RM59 right spindle and blade.jpg
    Woods RM59 right spindle and blade.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 35
I have a Woods RM306 finish mower. Every time I try to take the blades off, there is always one bolt that won't come off with the impact wrench. I chain the blade to the side of the deck to keep it from turning and get on the bolt head with a 3/4 drive socket and breaker bar with a piece of pipe. It hasn't failed yet and I haven't twisted off any bolts.
I have the same mower as you, and occasionally have the same issue. But, I also have a 3/4 impact to use when the 1/2 won't do it

That shoulder washer (2) might be what is still stuck in my right spindle. I'm not going to try to force it off.

Unless it's changed manual and parts pages is available on Woods site for down loading. Suggest checking wat has been changed/modified in the past. By memory a bellville spring washer goes on bottom side of blade and bolt set to a special torque. Its been 10 or 12 years since I was around a Woods deck.

I have a 3 ft long aluminum pipe that is big enough to slide over the blade.
I have another 3 ft long aluminum pipe to slide over a breaker bar.

The trick is to torque the bolts to around 50 lb ft. The fiber disks act like a clutch and will slip if you hit something with the blade.
Over torquing the bolt will cause the disks not to slip, instead it will over tighten the bolt.
I learned the hard way not to over tighten. I have 2 six ft woods mowers and a JD mower.

I have a RM59-1 Owners Manual I downloaded. The pics seem to match. Here is what it shows for the spindle and blade configuration:

Attachments

• Woods RM59 Owners Manual Blade and spindle configuration.pdf
    462.2 KB · Views: 28
Just FYI: My 20v Dewalt (DCF899B) 1/2 drive impact will knock loose stuff all day that that my CP 734 and Ingersol 1/2 air impacts won't touch at 150psi. I would use that or a Milwaukee Fuel if you can get your hands on one.

My question is if I try the torch method where should I hit it with the flame? On the bolt head or on the spindle?
Here's a late answer to that (now moot) question: You heat the bolt head. As you can see, it would be nearly impossible to apply heat to the spindle, and if you did it would probably wreck the spindle seals. It's almost always a good idea to apply a little heat to a recalcitrant bolt; even if you damage a seal they're much cheaper to replace than a spindle or other part with a broken bolt stuck inside it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back