Why a 150* thermostat?

chris142

Whats the reason for such a cold running engine? It's well known that engines that run warmer up to about 230 or so have much iess wear ànd sludge.

With a 4 Lb pressure cap it shouldn't boil till 224 so why not run a 180* thermostat at least?

I swapped out the 150* thermostat in my MH 50 for a 180 hoping to get more heat in the cab.

As soon as it opened the cap couldn't hold the pressure and blew coolant everywhere.

I blamed the new Tstat as faulty and ordered another one and put a new cap on too. Same deal. Tested both 180s in a pot of water too, both opened when they should.

Put the 150 back in and no more troubles.

I don't know why that happened, maybe someone here has a theory.

I swapped out the 150* thermostat in my MH 50 for a 180 hoping to get more heat in the cab.

As soon as it opened the cap couldn't hold the pressure and blew coolant everywhere.

I blamed the new Tstat as faulty and ordered another one and put a new cap on too. Same deal. Tested both 180s in a pot of water too, both opened when they should.

Actully I did some reading after I posted the question. The low temp was for when using alcohol for antifreeze. Higher temps boiled it out too fast.

With ethylene glycol coolant a 180* should be fine. I dont see how a 180* blew your cap off unless the thermostat opened too fast maybe?

That's why I drill a 1/8 inch hole in all thermostats I put in anymore unless it has the jiggle pin like some do. The hole helps keep engine coolant system from air locking so system fills better and stat will open/close more gradually. If you look closely most stats will have a VERY small V notch at the valve, but it's too small to do much good. Try drilling your 180 stat and put it back in, or better yet drill a 195 and REALLY get some heat. Remember, your HEATER is a radiator too.

That's why I drill a 1/8 inch hole in all thermostats I put in anymore unless it has the jiggle pin like some do. The hole helps keep engine coolant system from air locking so system fills better and stat will open/close more gradually. If you look closely most stats will have a VERY small V notch at the valve, but it's too small to do much good. Try drilling your 180 stat and put it back in, or better yet drill a 195 and REALLY get some heat. Remember, your HEATER is a radiator too.

Did that and have been doing it for years.

Should have mentioned it probably, I guess I shouldn't assume everyone knows to do that.

I ran mine today with a new 180*. Kinda nice not having to adjust my çarboard. hottest I saw was 182*. Its not hot here yet though, only 93 or so.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back