When did you last use one of these?

Ultradog MN

For me about 1991.
I found this cleaning out some old drawers today.
Last time I can remember using one was on my first house. Several basement window panes were cracked and I had no money. I found some windows with bigger panes in the trash and cut the glass to fit my frames and glazed them in.
The little wheel is sharp and still rolls.
I gave it a drop of lube and found a different drawer for it.
Maybe the next guy to find it won't know what it is.

Attachments

• 3202024164756.jpg
    3202024164756.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 113
For me about 1991.
Last time I can remember using one was on my first house. Several basement window panes were cracked and I had no money. I found some windows with bigger panes in the trash and cut the glass to fit my frames and glazed them in.
Been a long time ago but I have one laying on the table next to my chair and it has been on that table for who knows how long

Used one of mine about 10 years ago building the greenhouse. About the same time, I cut a new round gauge face for my test gauge. That was more challenging than the greenhouse. steve

Don’t remember but I can tell you with my glass cutting ability, it is cheaper for me to hire it done.

About a year ago. Had some small panes that were broke but had some bigger, so cut them down. Surprised myself that I found the 2 that were around here and didnt break any cutting them.

Got a couple in my tool chest, but cutting my own glass hasn't been a thing for a while. Probably because most of the single pane windows have been replaced with better ones.

For me about 1991.
Yesterday. My wife is an artist and frames her work. I make frames and cut glass. Jim

I hadn't used mine in years, then got it out again for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Tiling the new shower wall with glass tiles: I use the normal tile scoring tool for the top, but uses one of these to score the edges. Seemed to give a better chance of a nice, clean break. With the dang glass tile costing $17/square foot it's worth a little extra trouble to try and reduce waste.

It has been a couple years luckily. Seems some guys had a habit of breaking the mirror on our Pettibone. Was quicker if I cut one, took some patience as the mirror has rounded corners.

For me about 1991.
Use to use one a bunch.

Many years ago I needed to cut a piece of glass to fit something. I don't even remember what it was now. A buddy of mine said he had a piece of glass that I could used. So, I made the first score with the tool and tried to snap the glass. I tapped it on both sides with the ball end of the tool to no end. I laid the piece on my breakfast bar and tried to push on the piece to snap it to no avail. So I placed it on the bar with the score on the edge of the bar and had my wife sit on it so I could use both hands and snap it off. Well, when I leaned on that thing, there was a loud bang like a shot gun going off and the glass on both sides exploded into a thousand little pieces. Yep...it was safety glass. Luckily my wife's rear end suffered no consequences. I wish I could have seen the look on both our faces when that happened.

I worked in a glass shop back in the 70's, used them a lot. I have one, hasn't been used in quite some time. We used to lube with kerosene back then.
Yep, every glass shop I've seen keeps a little container of Kerosene near the cutting bench, with the cutters standing in it. I even have one that has a hollow plastic handle that gets filled with kero. Has a spring loaded valve in the bottom, just tap on it and the wheel gets a shot of fresh lube...

Reminds me, I need to cut a couple of replacement panes for the cracked shop windows.

For me about 1991.
For me about 1991.
Probably decades,

Guido.

Attachments

• IMG_20240421_163549802~2.jpg
    IMG_20240421_163549802~2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
I remember going to Homeshows with my Dad. There was always a booth there with some guy hawking the newest glass cutters. He would cut all kind of crazy stuff. I remember him cutting a letter "S" about an inch wide and maybe 18" long. He was very good at it. The thing was like magic in his hands.

Yep, every glass shop I've seen keeps a little container of Kerosene near the cutting bench, with the cutters standing in it. I even have one that has a hollow plastic handle that gets filled with kero. Has a spring loaded valve in the bottom, just tap on it and the wheel gets a shot of fresh lube...

Reminds me, I need to cut a couple of replacement panes for the cracked shop windows.
I've got one as well , made in Japan , probably the best on the market . It's 35 years old now and has cut the glass for over 50 headlight windows .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back