@john in la
I think it gives you a red alert icon next to your username when someone ads a post to the thread.
And you can have it send you an email notice as well.

I just now added this thread to "watch".
Reply to this post and I will confirm what it does.

I had originally clicked the watch at the top of site comments. I always get email notifications of any thread posted here as a result. You can use it for entire forums or just threads that you haven't posted in. It automatically "watches" threads you've posted in.

As far as the alerts being generated from that, sounds like DoubleO7 will figure that one out. I just do the email notifies.

@DoubleO7, it may be that the alert is working like email notifications, if I haven't visited the thread after receiving notification that someone else has replied, it won't send me another notification even if another post comes in, until I've visited the thread.

Wondering if the alert bell works just like mail, you get an alert on first reply since you've visited the thread, but won't get another one until you visit the thread, even if other posts come in. I had an alert bell alert for each of your last three posts, but I had visited the thread each time, so that didn't prove anything about how it works.

Wondering if the alert bell works just like mail, you get an alert on first reply since you've visited the thread, but won't get another one until you visit the thread, even if other posts come in. I had an alert bell alert for each of your last three posts, but I had visited the thread each time, so that didn't prove anything about how it works.

I've gotten alerts for multiple posts in the same thread between visits

Bottom line seems to be that Watching a thread is helpful even without mail notifications being set on. The alerts have the added benefit in that you don't have to clean up like you do with mail notifications, they just disappear automatically.

Bottom line seems to be that Watching a thread is helpful even without mail notifications being set on. The alerts have the added benefit in that you don't have to clean up like you do with mail notifications, they just disappear automatically.

I set it so I don't get email notifications, just rely on the notifications bell to see any replies or likes, etc.

I find the "Watch" option useful too. There are times when I want to follow a thread without posting in it, although I may eventually post in it.

Since I'm not actually in the forum screen most of the time and working at a system level (where alerts can't find me), the email notifications are the only way I can get notified. Otherwise the alerts would be good enough. Wish there was a text option so you could get alerts that way, then I'd have the popup on my computer. Mail is the closest thing I have right now for how I can keep current.

I set it so I don't get email notifications, just rely on the notifications bell to see any replies or likes, etc.

I find the "Watch" option useful too. There are times when I want to follow a thread without posting in it, although I may eventually post in it.
What is the notifications bell ????

Right now I see the red box with new in it if it is a post I have not read or a new reply has been added since my last visit.

A email that something has happened is pointless to me as I seldom check my email. I can understand Chris might benefit from a email notification because when a problem happens he needs to be alerted but a normal forum member can just visit the site to see whats going on.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back